ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF GRAPHIC DESIGN, College of Fine Arts
The Department of Graphic Design in the College of Fine Arts at Boston University invites applications for a full-time faculty appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor non-tenure-track with a pathway for promotion and long-term contracts.
The Graphic Design program seeks a candidate with a strong professional practice and investment in teaching to build on and advance the program’s record of success across the BFA and MFA curricula.
We view graphic design education as an adaptable and evolving discipline and seek a colleague who engages in new schools of thought across traditional graphic design and emerging media. A successful candidate thinks of design broadly and wishes to cultivate cross disciplinary opportunities across the University that expand the model for design education.
Our pedagogy emphasizes experimentation, practicality and criticality and social and cultural awareness and engagement. Our program incorporates topics across print and screen-based media throughout its three-year core graphic design and typography sequence where we blend conceptual exploration with practice-based solutions. Additional electives, such as Advanced Typography, Visual Systems, Information Design and Exhibition Design complement the core curriculum situated within the University’s liberal arts setting—and together provide a comprehensive and diverse academic experience.
We believe that the cultural and social diversity of our faculty, staff, and students is vitally important to the distinction and excellence of our research and academic programs. To that, we are especially eager to have join our ranks a colleague who supports our institutional commitment to ensuring BU is inclusive, equitable, diverse, and a place where all constituents can thrive.
- Teach six courses a year across the BFA and MFA curricula
- Maintain an active professional practice and/or research program at local, national and international scales
- Actively advance department, curricular and extra-curricular engagements, from new course development to cross-disciplinary collaborations
- Serve on University committees and contribute to the intellectual rigor from departmental through university levels
DO NOT APPLY THROUGH THE BOSTON UNIVERSITY HR WEBSITE.
Please upload a letter of application, a CV that lists contact information for three references, a statement of teaching philosophy, as well as 15-20 images of your professional work and not more than 15 images of your students' work to: http://bucfa.slideroom.com. Please do not upload more images than requested. No email applications.
Also indicate in your letter of application whether or not you will be attending the College Art Association Annual Conference.
Application deadline: December 8, 2018
- An MFA and 3-5 years of professional experience
- Expertise in graphic design and typography across traditional and emerging media
- Fluency in two to three practice areas, such as Advanced Typography, Graphic Design Theory and History, Visual Systems, Information Design, Exhibition Design, Interactive Design, Web Design, Motion Graphics, Drawing into Animation, etc.
- University level teaching experience is preferable
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States