User Experience Librarian
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
User Experience Librarian
Posting Number: S01170
Regular, Temporary or Term: Temporary
If temporary or term, anticipated end date: 06/30/2019
Benefits Eligible?: No
Hiring Minimum: $21.75/hour
Band/Level: Specialist 2
Location: Monterey, CA campus
Hire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screening: Criminal Background check
The User Experience Librarian plays a key role in creating an excellent experience for both physical and virtual users of the William Tell Coleman Library. She/he develops methodologies to measure changing student/faculty needs in library services, technology, and physical space and develops implementation plans for innovations that better reflect changing trends in student, faculty and staff needs.
In collaboration with the Assistant Director, the User Experience Librarian recommends options for innovation and engages with other Public Services staff for planning and implementation. She/he manages circulation services and front desk activities as the pivotal user services starting point including all aspects of hiring and supervision of library graduate assistant staff. The User Experience Librarian supports faculty and oversees all facets of course reserves, including copyright compliance.
In collaboration with other members of the library staff, other MIIS departments, campus clubs/groups, and Middlebury community, she/he plans library programs that serve both educational and leisure interests of the MIIS community. As part of the library team, the User Experience Librarian contributes her/his individual skills and experience as needed in order to help the team achieve its objectives, relying on teamwork and judgment in establishing priorities among changing and competing demands. This is a temporary, full-time position.
• Manages circulation services and front desk activities, including all circulation notices and communications, with the goal of providing excellent customer/user experience 24/7.
• Manages all aspects of graduate assistant staffing including recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling and supervision.
• Provides reference, instruction, and technology support to library patrons.
• Supports faculty and oversees library course reserve services, including review and implementation of technology and procedural upgrades.
• Collaborates with the Assistant Director, Library Director, and Digital Learning Commons to assess and improve the library's online and social media presence.
• Creates, compiles, maintains, and utilizes system statistics and reports to evaluate workflows and develop enhancements to circulation, reserve, reference, and instructional services.
• Develops and conducts qualitative and quantitative user needs/usability studies, including surveys, interviews, focus groups, and observations. to assess changing user needs, preferences, and trends with the goal of continual improvement.
• Communicates and collaborates with library colleagues on user studies.
• Based on user and library staff input, plans and develops innovative projects, services, and programs.
• In collaboration with the Assistant Director and Reference Librarian, develops new information literacy guidelines based on the ACRL Information Literacy Framework.
• Stays current in knowledge of trends in user-centered design and planning in academic libraries.
• Collaborates with the Public Services team and Library Management Council on development of library policy.
• Collaborates with Public Services team on Public Services Annual Report and goal-setting/visioning projects
• Acts as primary liaison on both library machinery technical support and library supplies purchasing.
• Acts as liaison to MOBAC Technology Committee.
• Oversees library operations during evening and weekend shifts when no other staff members are present.
• Provides a high level of professional courtesy in all service to our patrons and provides guidance to graduate assistant staff in maintaining the same professional demeanor.
• Serves as an active, collaborative member of the Public Services team, showing a commitment to good communication and team-based problem solving and decision-making.
• Provides leadership, training, support, coaching, and feedback to library staff involved in reserve and circulation services.
• Utilizes and fosters use of departmental folders, online spaces, calendars, etc. to maintain and share schedules, reports and other documentation.
• Understands the aims and needs of MIIS teaching, learning, and research programs through active collaboration with faculty, staff, and administrators.
• Works with library staff, IT department, and campus administration to maintain the privacy of student information.
• Collaborates with Middlebury colleagues.
• Applies and interprets copyright law and determines copyright guidelines use. Proactively supports faculty in their course design as it relates to copyright law.
• Fulfills other responsibilities as required to assist the Public Services department in accomplishing its mission and flexibly adapts to the changing needs of the department and the library.
An MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• User service experience
• Excellent written and interpersonal skills
• Good organizational skills
• Good computer and other office machinery troubleshooting skills
• Supervision and training skills
• Knowledge of new trends in library services and technology
• Knowledge of library policies and procedures
• Internet, Microsoft Office, web design, and ILS skills
• Willingness and ability to comply with MIIS policies, procedures, and mandates
Three years related experience in academic library user services including circulation, reference, instruction and supervision preferred.
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey maintains a smoke-free workplace and complies with the Federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act and Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Job requires ability to sit, stand, walk, bend/stoop, squat, push/pull. Also requires the ability to lift and carry weight up to 25 pounds occasionally.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please complete an online application and submit all required documents.
• Cover Letter
• Resume/C V
To apply, visit: https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/18330
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency