1. Maintains the grass on campus property by:
- mowing, using tractor mowers, push mowers, 7 gang mower.
- operating weedeaters, edgers, clippers.
- aerating, sodding, and seeding by using tractors, spreaders, tillers, etc.
- watering grass using irrigation system, water truck, sprinklers and hoses.
- picking up litter, limbs, dead animals, etc using shovel, stick, broom, hands.
- spraying chemicals to kill weeds and treat diseases and to fertilize using backpack sprayer or tractor sprayer.
- vacuuming or raking leaves using vacuum unit, rake or backpack leaf blower.
- clearing lots (as needed) using bushhog.
2. Maintains shrubbery, plants, trees and flower beds by:
- pruning flowers (roses), shrubs and trees using hand or gasoline powered shears, chainsaws and ladders or bucket truck as necessary.
- planting flowers, shrubs and trees by using shovels, spades, backhoe, etc.
- mulching and weeding shrubbery and flower beds.
- spraying chemicals to kill weeds, diseases, or to fertilize plants using backpack or hand sprayer.
- removing shrubs, flowers, tree stumps using backhoe, shovel and stump grinder.
- trims limbs on campus trees using chainsaws, pole clippers and bucket truck.
3. Maintains cleanliness of walkways, parking lots and lake by:
- blowing leaves and grass from the sidewalk/parking lot/road using backpack blower, push blowers, vacuum truck, tractor with blower attachment.
- cleaning out storm drains by using shovels to remove leaves, sand and dirt.
- maintaining the lake by skimming the water to remove debris, dead animals, etc. and by using the motor boat to trap and assist injured ducks and swans.
- shoveling snow/ice from walkways as necessary.
4. Maintains grounds equipment by:
- washing mowers, tractors, etc.
- sharpening blades.
- checking oil, fuel and filters for cleanliness or replacement.
5. Maintains and repairs grounds irrigation systems by:
- repairing broken sprinkler heads, valves, pipes, etc.
- clearing blockages from valves and pipes.
- inspecting and servicing automatic sprinkler control devices, electric and hydraulic systems and pumping systems.
6. Completes additional duties assigned by supervisor.
7. Completes performance review process with supervisor/employees to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.
8. Communicates openly and recognizes contributions of co-workers and supervisor.
9. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for services and information; including maintaining up to date information about the department and university.
Continuous contact with members of their own work unit and immediate supervisor to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions. Discussion of non-controversial matters.
Frequent contact with students, general public to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions. Discussion of non-controversial matters.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Tasks are well-defined and repetitive, following prescribed steps, methods and/or procedures. Work involves limited choice with regard to the selection of appropriate tools, methods or materials.
Errors are readily detected in the normal course of work by standard check or crosscheck.
Reports To: Groundskeeper Foreman
Completed work is referred to supervisor for review.
High School graduate with 1 - 2 years experience in related field.
Ability to read and understand instructions for the use of machinery, chemicals and seed/fertilizer.
Valid S.C. Drivers License.
Experience in the operation of grounds tools/equipment.
Horticultural degree or equivalent experience preferred.
Work is performed primarily outside under variable weather conditions with daily exposure to noise, dust, heat, cold, dampness, dirt, chemicals and fumes.
- Frequent lifting grounds equipment into and out of pick up trucks. (ie: backpack
- blowers, sprayers, chainsaws, weedeaters, etc. up to 50 lbs.)
- Frequent reaching, bending, stooping when pruning shrubs, flowers and hedges.
- Frequent pushing mowers, blowers, and edgers.
- Frequent driving/operating mowers/tractors, etc. using handles, foot pedals and hand levers.
- Frequent operating weedeaters by holding them above the ground and moving them back and forth while walking.
- Frequent recognizing disease, problems to report to supervisor.
- Frequent lifting bags (up to 50 lbs) of seed, fertilizer, etc.
- Frequent using hand tools such as spades, clippers, and shovels.
Groundskeepers may be subject to call-back if there is an emergency, i.e.: tree down, irrigation line broken, injured duck or swan.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
Fri, January 18, 2019
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Groundskeeper_R000449
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency