Police Sergeant - for internal candidates only (98746)
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Applicant must be a University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign employee currently working within the Police Officer series.The entry classification for this series is Police Officer, which is typically posted for annual testing in the late winter or early spring.
The University of Illinois Police Department is recognized as one of the premier university police departments in the country. The guiding philosophy is that of community policing with the objective of providing safety and security for all students, faculty, staff, and visitors of the University. Information about the Police Department can be found at: www.police.illinois.edu. UIPD takes pride in being a leader in community-based, progressive approaches toward law enforcement. The department supports its officers and encourages them to introduce creative and innovative ways to promote public safety, engage the community and be a leader on campus. UIPD is committed to the administration of law and order based on the constitutional idea of justice where every person will be treated with dignity and fairness. A Police Sergeant typically:
- supervises and coordinates the activities of designated personnel in order to assure compliance with department goals, policies and procedures, as well as with specific individual instructions;
- provides effective response to emergency public safety needs; renders emergency medical assistance as necessary;
- supervises and coordinates the investigation of civil and criminal cases, conducting interviews, offering guidance and expertise to investigators, and ensuring that procedures are conducted in accordance with laws and regulations;
- assigns and briefs Police Officers at the beginning of a shift;
- schedules, or assists in scheduling, designated personnel to provide adequate workforce coverage for vacations, sickness, court appearances, special public events, etc.;
- assists in the supervision or, in the absence of a superior, commands special event details such as Sporting Events, Concerts, Parades, etc.;
- assists in the development of operational policies and plans;
- may monitor and evaluate the job performance of subordinates; may authorize promotions, transfers, and discharges; may investigate and resolve personnel problems within police department;
- performs all duties normally required in the lower levels of the Police Officer series as necessary;
- performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Must be currently employed as a University of Illinois Police Officer
2. Associate degree (or 60 semester credit hours) granted by an accredited institution of higher education, preferably in police science, law enforcement, or other police or law curriculum.
3. Two (2) years (24 months) of full-time experience as a police officer with a federal, state, county, college or university, municipal, or public institutional police organization having a recognized merit system.
For more information about this classification:
Police Sergeant positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week), 12 months per year. The minimum stating salary is $42.04 per hour. Applicant must be a University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign employee currently working within the Police Officer series.The entry classification for this series is Police Officer, which is typically posted for annual testing in the late winter or early spring.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at http://jobs.illinois.edu/ and exam request form for Police Sergeant. Documents such as: college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Staff Human Resources Category:7-Service Operations Title:Police Sergeant - for internal candidates only (98746) Open Date:06/26/2018 Organization Name:Illinois Human Resources Operations