Security Guard (Open & Continuous Testing) (98612)
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Security Guards serve at fixed posts or patrol assigned areas on foot or by vehicle, and perform a variety of protective duties, such as enforcing pertinent administrative rules and regulations governing building or other facility access, and breaches in physical security controls (locks, fences, gates, or other barriers). Security Guards may control the movement of persons and protect lives and personal property in and around the property protected. These vacancies may occur in departments across the Urbana-Champaign campus. Typical duties include:
- patrols and monitors offices, classrooms, buildings and other areas of the campus to safeguard individuals and prevent theft or damage to property, equipment, tools, and supplies
- patrols a prescribed area to check breaches in physical security controls such as locks, alarms, fences, gates, and other barriers; responsible for locking and unlocking of offices, classrooms, buildings, etc., as required
- patrols the perimeters to detect faulty fences and/or equipment malfunctions such as exit doors, security lighting systems, trespassing violations, attempted thefts and signs of vandalisms
- circulates among students, staff, and visitors to preserve order and protect property
- assists in maintaining keys and/or key card control
- writes reports of daily activities and irregularities such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, potential safety hazards or any unusual occurrences
- monitors and authorizes personnel access by verifying the identification and credentials of individuals entering controlled areas to maintain security of premises
- monitors surveillance equipment and alarm systems
- enforces parking regulations, escort students, staff and visitors as needed, collect fees and enters data into computer
- directs or guides students, employees and visitors in case of emergencies or evacuations
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Valid Illinois drivers license if essential to the position.
3. No record of conviction of a felony, or of a crime involving moral turpitude.
For more information about this classification:
Security Guard positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week), 12 months per year. The minimum stating salary is $15.12 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at http://jobs.illinois.edu/ and exam request form for Security Guard. Documents such as: college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Staff Human Resources Category:7-Service Operations Title:Security Guard (Open & Continuous Testing) (98612) Open Date:06/26/2018 Organization Name:Illinois Human Resources Operations