Instructor, Studio Art
Instructor, Studio Art
Portland Community College
Best Consideration/Close Date:
The Liberal Arts and Pre-College Division on the Southeast Campus of Portland Community College seeks a full-time instructor with experience teaching college-level studio arts and a commitment to equitable student success. We are looking for an innovative educator who is willing to focus on students and their lived experiences, while taking classroom risks to meet student needs. This position will start in the Fall 2019 Term. In your application, please submit a cover letter which addresses the following questions (maximum of 500 words):
- How have you changed your courses in the past three years to meet your students' needs, in terms of culturally responsive teaching?
- What have you learned from doing this?
- How has this experience impacted your teaching philosophy?
See the classification description for additional information: https://www.pcc.edu/resources/academic/instructor-qualifications/art.html
These qualifications, skills and abilities are critical for success in this position.
Throughout the screening process, you will be evaluated based on the demonstration of these qualifications.
- Demonstrates awareness of the relationship between drawing and design, and other foundations curriculum
- Demonstrates familiarity and expertise in various 2D drawing and design media such as charcoal, ink, graphite, painting and collage. Candidate should demonstrate understanding of drawing and design in relationship to other media (both 2D and 3D) as well as in relationship to broad historical, cultural and contemporary contexts
- Demonstrates a commitment to culturally responsive teaching, as well as a willingness to innovate and take risks in the classroom
- Demonstrates a commitment to student-centered, college-level teaching experiences in Studio Art, including Foundations Level Drawing and/or Design
- Demonstrates experience and/or commitment to work effectively with colleagues and a wide range of students, including first-generation students, students of color, students who live with poverty, students with advanced degrees, and life-long learners
- Demonstrates an understanding that assessing student learning outcomes and refining professional practices on a regular basis is a key component to supporting student success
- Demonstrates an ability to lead the department in professional development centered on diversity, equity and inclusion, and in particular, the use of culturally responsive teaching methods and techniques
- Master of Fine Arts degree in Visual or Studio Art
- MFA in Studio Art with an emphasis in Drawing or Painting from an accredited institution
- Provides evidence of exhibition history
- Provides evidence of studio practice
- Provides evidence of commitment to serving the department, division, campus, and college district through work on committees, projects, curriculum development, and program development
Initial Salary Placement will generally not exceed Step 3 of the Full-Time Faculty Salary Range ($56,274). Higher placement may be considered based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs. PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS/OPSRP) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS/OPSRP. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement. Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waver for yourself, domestic partner, and dependent children under 24 years of age; plus partial tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions. Paid Leave: - 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year)
- 21 hours of additional personal leave per year
- 4 paid holidays (which occur during the term you are teaching)
View a complete list of PCC benefits.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://pcc.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=215&site=9
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency