Working Title Vice President - University Advancement
Eastern Washington University is currently recruiting for a Vice President for Advancement & Executive Director of the EWU Foundation. This position reports to the university president, serving as a member of her senior leadership team, and in turn supervises the leaders of the units within the Advancement division.
- Upholding the university's mission, vision, and values as a public regional university, the Vice President for Advancement works to advance the goals of the university. The vice president is an articulate and focused university advocate, regionally and nationally, with past, current, and prospective donors; community leaders; alumni and parents; and business and corporate partners.
- Leading and managing a team of development officers and working with administrators, faculty, and staff, the Vice President for University Advancement maintains a dynamic portfolio of high net worth individuals and leading foundations and corporations, and secures major, capital, and planned gifts as well as annual gifts and endowment support.
- The Vice President for University Advancement advises and communicates effectively with the president and executive leadership on alumni relations, community and donor relations, marketing and communications, and the management and operation of the university's first comprehensive fundraising campaign, currently in the planning stages. The Vice President for University Advancement also serves as the Executive Director of the EWU Foundation, a nonprofit organization that raises funds to benefit the university.
- The Vice President for Advancement works closely with other university leaders to provide direction and leadership for Marketing and Communications in developing brand design and management as well as effective internal and external messaging to diverse constituencies.
- The Vice President for Advancement leads an operation that focuses on excellence and achieves success in measurable ways. Creating and leading a culture of collaboration, innovation, and creativity, the successful candidate for this position will be a thoughtful, ethical manager and leader who empowers diverse colleagues and makes it possible for them to excel.
- Candidates for this position will document a record of leadership and accomplishment in advancement with a proven track record of fundraising success, especially with campaign planning and successful major gift solicitations. Strong organizational, supervisory, team building, and leadership capabilities are required. Exemplary interpersonal and communication skills are essential. Significant experience as a senior level advancement professional is required, including successful experience developing integrated fundraising programs and alumni engagement initiatives.
- EWU connects with over 100,000 alumni worldwide.
- Approximately 75,000 EWU alumni live in Washington, with 37,000 in Spokane County.
- Six months after graduation, 93% of EWU's 2016 graduates were employed or in graduate school.
The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays (adjusted accordingly), tuition waiver benefit and more!
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.
About Eastern Washington University
Enrolling over 12,000 students, Eastern Washington University is a regional comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to the Cheney campus, EWU operates a significant campus in Spokane as well as teaching/learning centers in cities throughout the state. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, and high-quality schools and housing.
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Conditions of Employment
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
Must be able to work nights and weekends and travel as needed to meet demands of the position
- Master's degree or higher in any discipline.
- Minimum five years of experience and progressive leadership responsibilities in higher education or non-profit fundraising, including two years managing a fundraising team and as a partner with others in senior management.
- Demonstrated track record in building and sustaining relationships with donors.
- Demonstrated understanding of the daily functions of all departments within University Advancement, with a successful record as a manager or director in one or more of the following areas: campaigns; major and planned gifts; foundation and corporate relations; annual funds; or alumni.
- Established record of leadership and accomplishment in advancement with a supported track record of fundraising success, specifically with campaign planning/execution and major gift solicitations.
- Knowledge and understanding of budget practices and investment principles. Capacity to create and manage annual fundraising budget, including monthly management of revenues and expenses to meet or exceed annual budget commitments. Proficiency in fundraising data collection, analysis and reporting tools.
- Ability to analyze and organize data into effective and meaningful oral and written presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise a fundraising team and continuously strive to recruit, retain, and develop diverse and top-quality talent.
- Demonstrated experience in leading a team and mission that embraces equity-driven practices based upon knowledge and understanding of diversity, inclusion, and social justice issues, challenges and opportunities.
- Ownership of a valid driver's license.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organizational, supervisory, and leadership proficiencies.
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective
communications and communication channels throughout the university.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with an established record of integrity and outstanding management and leadership skills.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies in an academic environment.
- Ability to communicate and actively
support the university's mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development, campus/community relations, equal opportunity, and diversity.