Internal Audit Intern/Graduate Student Assistant
Title:Internal Audit Intern/Graduate Student Assistant Job Category:Student Description:
- Assists in the examination and evaluation of the adequacy and effectiveness of the system of internal controls.
- Assists in the review of the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information and the means used to identify measure, classify, and report such information.
- Assists in the review of the systems established to ensure compliance with those policies, plans, procedures, laws, regulations, and contracts which could have a significant impact on operations and reports, and evaluate compliance or noncompliance.
- Assists in the review of the means of safeguarding assets and, as appropriate, verifies the existence of such assets. Assists in the execution of integrated audits of technology application and configuration controls; which includes providing reasonable assurance that application controls are properly configured and optimized to ensure integrity, accuracy and confidentiality of data.
- Assists in the review of the operations or programs to ascertain whether results are consistent with established objectives and goals and whether the operations or programs are being carried out as planned.
- Assists in the gathering of necessary information to perform the audit in a professional manner and in accordance with the approved audit program.
- Assists in the preparation of working papers which record and summarize data on the assigned audit segment in accordance with professional standards.
- Assists in the recommendation of corrective actions and suggestions for improvements to operations and reductions in cost.
- Assists in the examination and evaluation of reports Assists in review of information collected (statistical data, written reports, research efforts)
- Assists in the review of the systems established to ensure compliance with those policies, plans, procedures, laws, regulations and contracts which could have a significant impact on operations and reports, and evaluate compliance or non-compliance.
- Students may be assigned to work with one designated staff in Internal Audit, Information Technology and/or Ethics and Compliance. Work assigned will vary by assignment.
- Performs any other duties within the scope of the Office of Internal Audit as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Individuals seeking this position should be organized, observant, and detail oriented. The individual must be comfortable with basic accounting knowledge as well as possess an ability to follow instructions carefully and with sound judgment. Computerized spreadsheet and word processing competency is required, along with problem-solving skills. The intern must be able to demonstrate efficiency and time management skills. Flexibility and ability to change focus quickly is important.
- Candidates must be a full or part time student at a USG institution with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Candidate must have ability to keep all information and conversations related to audit projects and institutional data in the strictest confidence.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Juniors, seniors and graduate students whose major is in Accounting, Finance or any business-related, pre-law, organizational behavior, management information systems, or analytics field. Knowledge of auditing concepts.
- Good communication skills, organizational ability and judgment required. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.