Adjunct - Graduate Education, Dissertation Chair and Committee Members
Job location: University Campus
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2018-10-26
Job Description SummarySaint Leo University is current seeking qualified candidates in the Saint Leo, Florida area to be cleared and added to our adjunct availability pool. Qualified applicants, transcripts, and materials will be reviewed and processed in preparation for assignment-based student enrollment needs for upcoming terms. Select adjuncts from the pool are contracted term-by-term based on course/section need and availability. Saint Leo University reserves the right to not schedule and/or cancel courses based on enrollment.Job Description
The Department of Graduate Studies in Education within the College of Education and Social Services is currently seeking qualified candidates for our adjunct pool in order to staff immediate and future graduate dissertation sections.
The dissertation committee consists of three members with the following roles:
- Dissertation Committee Chair: facilitates and guides the candidate through the dissertation process following university protocols and policies; monitors and records progress, provides encouragement and support throughout the process, and is ultimately responsible for coordinating feedback to student from other committee members.
- Dissertation Committee Members (2): works with the committee in providing feedback to student via the chairperson. Evaluate the applied dissertation proposal, and final report; provide a written analysis of students’ documents (proposal, or final dissertation report) directly to the committee chair (not directly to the dissertation student) within 10 business days of having received the document.
Applications are processed upon the receipt of all official transcripts while the posting is active.
In addition to resume, the following documents are required for consideration. Please upload documents in the second step of the application packet process:
- Values Statement
- Teaching Philosophy
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts (see special instructions)
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
Assignments specifically in the Education discipline require the following additional documents must be included and uploaded with your all-includes document file. (Education specific disciplines only – for other disciplines please upload a word document that states, “N/A does not apply).
- Teaching Certificate
- Evidence of clinical educator training
- Evidence of 60 hours of ESOL training
- Values statement (500 words or less) highlights how your administrative philosophy and practices fit the Missions and Values of Saint Leo University. The University Ideal 2017, Mission Statement and Values are available on the Saint Leo website.
- Teaching philosophy (500 words or less) highlights how your teaching and administrative philosophy and practices fit the Mission and Values of Saint Leo University.
- Official transcripts (including WES evaluation if from an international university)
- All letters of recommendation should be professional references and at least one from a recent superior. If you do not have those documents at the time of application, please upload a text or word document stating, "Recommendations will be sent independently." Recommendation letters can be mailed to Academic Affairs at the address stated below
Official transcripts for Master, Graduate, and Doctorate degrees are required to complete your application packet and are to be issued directly to Saint Leo University from the respective education institution.*
Transcripts that are “Issued to Student” or issued to another institution are not accepted. Digital and/or electronic transcripts cannot be accepted at this time. A certified evaluation and translation is required for foreign transcripts from World Education Services (WES). Expenses for official transcripts are the responsibility of the applicant.
Please have transcripts and certified evaluations mailed to:
Saint Leo University
Academic Affairs MC 2006
Attn: Veronica Mantegna
PO Box 6665
Saint Leo, Florida 33574
Assignments and responsibilities will relevant to staffing dissertation committees within at the doctorate/graduate level within the Education discipline:
- Provide high quality direction and mentorship to assigned students throughout all phases of the dissertation process.
- Provide timely and supportive mentoring throughout the student’s process of developing, researching, writing, and revising the dissertation.
- Direct and instruct the student with the goal of producing high-quality research.
- Participate in the Defense process of a student’s Dissertation. Offer timely and constructive feedback to facilitate revisions towards a final and thorough defense.
- Comply with all pertinent policies and procedures outlines in Saint Leo University’s Dissertation Handbook and Faculty Guidelines.
- Attend/complete program and faculty trainings and provide credentialing/records updates as required.
- Collaborate with student’s full committee.
- In committee role, be willing to follow the lead of the dissertation committee chair regarding interaction with the student.
- In Chair role, manage and supervise the committee members and methodologists of assigned students.
- Facilitate the successful completion of all IRB protocols. Ensure that own IRB training is current and meets university and research requirements.
- Guide the student through the development of the Concept Paper Proposal and the completed dissertation content and research.
- Advise the student regarding necessary changes to the dissertation content and research.
- Supervise the completion of data collection. Advise the student regarding necessary changes to collection methods and/or processes/
- Provide feedback to Program Dissertation regarding any student and/or committee member challenges, issues, or problems.
- Make recommendations to students regarding the utilization of university resources, as needed.
- Review and provide written feedback on student academic documents using English writing conventions and APA guidelines.
- Mentor students with academic culture and scholarly writing
- Track students’ progress throughout and prepare them for final submission and review of the Dissertation.
- Other duties and responsibilities as determined by department
Adjuncts are assigned to specific teaching locations and report to their location administrator as it pertains to daily operations as defined in the term-by-term contractual agreement, but ultimately have responsibility to their discipline specific department chair or director and/or school dean.
- An earned doctorate degree from an accredited institution in Education, Leadership, or related fields.
- Prior experience as a supervisor/mentor overseeing doctoral students with ability to advise and support doctoral students.
- Expertise in in two or more of the following areas: direct experience in school, district or organizational leadership, curriculum and/ or assessment.
- Knowledge of general behavioral and social science principles, research methods, and individual differences in ability.
- Willingness to participate in training events for dissertation committee members and chairs
- Proficient in APA style (formatting, citation requirements, punctuation, composition, grammar, etc.)
- Creative, innovative, and problem solving skills required.
- Online instructional experience and working in a virtual team environment
- Computer literate in software and Internet based applications with capacity to quickly learn new software applications
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment with students, other faculty and staff.
- Ability to view and manage role and responsibilities in relation to larger mission, goals and perspective of the University.
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills with the ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- Superior interpersonal, customer service, presentation, and communication skills both written and oral required