Job location: Chesapeake
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-03-28
Job Description SummarySaint Leo University has been changing lives for over 125 years. We have been recognized by the Chronicle of Education as a Great College to Work for, and ranked in the top 15% in U.S. News & World Report’s 2018 list of Best Value Schools, and in the 32% of Best College for Veterans. Employees at Saint Leo University advance their careers in a rewarding and diverse environment that cultivates the leaders of tomorrow with the skills they need today.
The Tapia College of Business (TCOB) is the largest College in the University with over 8,000 students in 8 multidisciplinary departments with 80 fulltime faculty and staff. TCOB offers degrees at the associates, bachelors, masters, and doctoral level in a variety of formats: on-ground traditional residential campus, on-ground in more than 30 centers in 7 states, online, and hybrid. TCOB pioneered the university’s first online Doctorate program, the Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) in 2014.
We are currently seeking an innovative, collaborative teacher-scholar to join the full-time Economics faculty. This role will involve teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level. The faculty member must be committed to the educational mission and core values of Saint Leo University, which include a demonstrated commitment to excellence, community, and responsible stewardship in education through practice and engagement. Appointment may be made at the instructor, assistant or associate level, with consideration as tenure track. The contract will be 10-months, based at our Chesapeake, Virginia center with teaching opportunities at our other peninsula centers.Job Description
Duties and Tasks:
The successful candidate will:
- Teach undergraduate Principles of Macro and Microeconomics and graduate Managerial Economics;
- Teach in a face-to-face setting and online, as needed to support center;
- Demonstrate professional development and scholarly growth;
- Perform service to the University, the College of Business, and the department;
- Support recruiting efforts.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The minimum requirements are:
- An earned DBA or PhD in Economics from a regionally accredited university;
- Experience in developing and delivering instruction at the college level.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working collaboratively.
- An earned Masters in Economics from a regionally accredited university;
- Documented teaching excellence in the discipline within the last 3-5 years;
- Related work experience in the field;
Additional (desired) qualifications:
- Experience teaching non-traditional age students.
- Experience teaching online.
- Experience teaching at the graduate level.
In addition to your curriculum vitae, the following documents are required for consideration. Please be sure to check the email under which you applied for important instructions on completing remaining steps, including uploading documents in the second step of the application packet process as follows:
* Cover Letter
* Values Statement - (500 words or less), should highlight how your philosophy and practices fit the Mission and Values of Saint Leo University. Please include how your administrative practice fit if applying for a faculty administrative position. The University Mission Statement and Values are available on the Saint Leo website under “about Saint Leo”.
* Teaching Philosophy - (500 words or less), should highlight how your teaching philosophy and practices fit the Mission and Values of Saint Leo University.
* Three (3) Letters of Recommendation – All letters of recommendation should be professional references and at least one (1) from a recent superior. If you do not have those documents at the time of application, please upload a text or word document stating, "Recommendations will be sent independently." Recommendation letters can be mailed to Academic Affairs at the address stated below
* Student Evaluations (six classes minimum) – Student evaluations from the last year (at least six classes, an even mix of graduate and undergraduate).
* Teaching Certifications and Evidence – Teaching assignments specifically in the Education discipline require the following additional documents must be included and uploaded with your all-includes document file. (Education specific disciplines only – for other disciplines please upload a word document that states, “N/A does not apply).
o Teaching Certificate
o Evidence of clinical educator training
o Evidence of 60 hours of ESOL training
Official transcripts are required for all adjuncts and all final full-time faculty candidates
Official transcripts for Master, Graduate, and Doctorate degrees are required to complete your application packet and are to be issued directly to Saint Leo University from the respective education institution.*
Transcripts that are “Issued to Student” or issued to another institution are not accepted. Digital and/or electronic transcripts cannot be accepted at this time.
World Education Services (WES) Evaluation – A certified evaluation and translation from World Education Services (WES) is required for foreign transcripts and/or any and all degrees obtained from international universities. Expenses for official transcripts are the responsibility of the applicant.
Please have transcripts and certified evaluations mailed to:
Attn: Veronica Mantegna
Academic Affairs – MC 2006
Saint Leo University
PO Box 6665
Saint Leo, Florida 33574
Full-time faculty positions are pending final budget approval prior to start of the academic year
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.