Postdoctoral Research Associate
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Postdoctoral Research Associate Department Earth Science Full Time/Part Time Full-Time Requisition Number P19014 Open Date 08/31/2018 Close Date Benefits Eligible Yes Position Summary
Multiple Postdoctoral Research Associate positions are available at the interface of environmental science and synthetic biology. These positions will focus on using synthetic biology tools to study marine and soil biogeochemistry, with the goal of better understanding how environmental conditions control microbial behaviors in the Earth system. The desired candidates will have a strong background in microbiology and molecular biology with research experience in synthetic biology and/or an Earth science field (e.g., marine or soil science). These scholars will join an interdisciplinary team of researchers working between the Earth, Environmental and Planetary Sciences department and the Biosciences department who have developed and are applying a new class of reporters of gene expression (see ACS Synth. Biol., 2018, 7 (3), pp 903–911).Education Required PhD or other Doctoral Degree Major/Discipline
Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Environmental Science, or related fields.Education Preferred Experience Required No experience required Type of Experience Experience Preferred Skills Required
- Must understand and comply with all lab safety protocols.
- Scientific experimental and analytical techniques.
- Has a high degree of autonomy in the day-to-day operation of the laboratory and therefore must be able to work effectively without close supervision.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills for interacting with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students as well as vendor personnel and other non-Rice individuals is required.
- Must be able to work in an office and/or laboratory environment.
- Must be able to work in a lab environment, often at a computer workstation or bench for much of the working day.
- Must be able to move between buildings widely separated on a college campus.
- Should be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- May require long hours and availability outside normal working hours depending on experiments and/or work on major projects, or research needs.
- The lab environment is fast-paced and sometimes stressful due to interruptions that require the successful candidate to have good multi-tasking skills.
- Punctuality and regular attendance expected.
- Smoke free environment.
- Synthesizing DNA, preparing samples for analysis.Percentage of Time 40 Job Duties Job Duty Name Laboratory Research Description of Job Duty
- Participates in the research activities of the Masiello group and with other faculty members in the department.
- Conducts independent and faculty directed research, including designing and conducting scientific research experiments, preparing samples, analyzing and interpreting experimental results and suggesting new experiments.
- Stays current on experimental techniques.
- Designs and assembles experimental apparatus.
- Procures required parts for apparatus.
- With the PI and Lab Manager, enforces laboratory safety standards and protocols.
- Assists the lab manger with lab safety training of students.
- With the PI and Lab manager, assists with Lab Safety inspections by Environmental Health & Safety.
- With the PI and Lab Manager, manages laboratory supplies.
- Communicates the results of scientific research through oral presentations at scientific conferences and written articles to be submitted for publication.
- Attends important scientific conferences to present research findings and disseminate knowledge to peers.
- Mentors graduate and undergraduate students.Percentage of Time 5 Job Duties Job Duty Name Administrative Duties Description of Job Duty
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the PI.
- May be asked to present research to the department and grad students.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a PhD or other doctoral degree in biology, chemistry, chemical engineering, bioengineering, environmental science, or related fields?