Executive Director or Co-Director of the Rice D2K Lab
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Executive Director or Co-Director of the Rice D2K Lab Department Rice Center for Transforming Data to Knowledge Full Time/Part Time Full-Time Requisition Number S19264 Open Date 11/09/2018 Close Date Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.Benefits Eligible Yes Eligible for Overtime No Position Summary
The Rice Center for Transforming Data to Knowledge, informally called the D2K Lab, seeks applicants for the position of Executive Director or Co-Director. The D2K Lab is a new center within the George R. Brown School of Engineering at Rice University in Houston, TX.
The mission of the D2K Lab is to provide students with immersive, experiential learning opportunities in data science while enhancing data-intensive research at Rice and building partnerships with companies, institutions, and community organizations. This will be achieved through a series of curricular and co-curricular programs and events for students that connect them to real world data science problems from partners and clients. The D2K Lab will work closely with data science oriented departments in the School of Engineering (Statistics, Computer Science, Computational and Applied Math, and Electrical and Computer Engineering) and all D2K Lab experiential learning courses will be embedded into existing or newly created academic programs and degrees.
We are looking for a dynamic individual with strong visionary leadership and excellence as a data science manager, educator, and / or researcher. The Executive Director or Co-Director will oversee all activities to implement the strategic vision of the D2K Lab, and, will oversee the operations of the D2K Lab. The Executive Director or Co-Director will help to build and foster partnerships internally with departments, institutes, and centers at Rice, as well as externally with companies, local government, community organizations, and institutions in the Texas Medical Center. Additionally, the selected candidate may be eligible for a non-tenure track faculty appointment, which would include helping to teach and develop curriculum along with other D2K Lab faculty.
This position requires a PhD in a relevant quantitative field with at least five years of experience, and a strong record as a leader in data science. Leaders in data science education, applied data science research, and / or experience as a data science consultant or manager in industry are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, CV, and statement(s) on relevant data science research, teaching, and/or managerial and leadership experience. References will not be contacted upon application submission. Instead, letters of recommendation will be requested at the discretion of the search committee.
Questions regarding this position can be directed to the Faculty Director, Genevera Allen, at [email protected] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
About Rice University & the George R Brown School of Engineering
Rice University has undertaken a university-wide data science initiative, funded at roughly $45 million, that has hired eight new faculty members and launched new educational programs. Rice University is well placed to capitalize on the data-rich resources of the United States’ fourth largest city. Rice is across the street from the world’s largest medical center and has long ties to Houston’s major industries, its school districts, its civic organizations, and the City of Houston. Houston, Texas is an unstoppable city that offers affordable housing, a tremendously diverse population, over 11,000 restaurants, a thriving arts and museum culture, and the 2017 World Series Champions!
Rice University is a private, coeducational, nonsectarian university that aspires to path-breaking research, unsurpassed teaching, and contributions to the betterment of our world. Rice fulfills this mission by cultivating a diverse community of learning and discovery that produces leaders across the spectrum of human endeavor.
The George R. Brown School of Engineering is strongly committed to nurturing the aspirations of faculty, staff and students in an inclusive environment. We seek greater representation of women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans in disciplines in which they have historically been underrepresented; to attract international students from a wider range of countries and backgrounds; to accelerate progress in building a faculty and staff who are diverse in background and thought; and we support an inclusive environment that fosters interaction and understanding within our diverse community.
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.Education Required PhD or other Doctoral Degree Major/Discipline
Relevant quantitative field (e.g., statistics, data science, applied & computational mathematics, computer science).Substitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred Experience Required 5 years Type of Experience
Related data science experience, which includes a strong record as a leader in data scienceSubstitution for Experience Requirement
- 10 years or more of related data science experience
- Leaders in data science education, applied data science research, and / or experience as a data science consultant or manager in industry are especially encouraged to apply
- Highly motivated and creative
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships
The Executive Director or Co-Director will oversee overall operation of the D2K Lab and help build and foster partnerships internally with departments, institutes, and centers at Rice, as well as externally with companies, local government, community organizations, and institutions in the Texas Medical Center.Physical Demands
Must be able to work in an office environment, often at a computer workstation for much of the working day. Must be able to move between buildings widely separated on a college campus and up and down stairs. Requires long period of sitting and working in front of a computer – up to eight hours per day.Working Conditions
Some work on weekends and evenings requiredSecurity Sensitive Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/17465 Job Duties Job Duty Name Essential Functions Description of Job Duty
- Oversees development and implementation of academic and / or research programs, initiatives and plans to advance the mission and strategic objectives
- Leads and directs staff and key administrative and financial functions including administrative operations, human resources, budget management and forecasting, and space
- Oversees and directs outreach including communications, marketing and events
- Serves as a key liaison with stakeholders and constituency groups and is responsible for managing external relations (public, donors, industry)
- Actively supports and coordinates fundraising strategies and efforts and serves as a liaison with Development and Alumni Relations
- Manages proposal development and oversees pre- and post-award research administration functions
- Serves as a key liaison with granting agencies and industrial partners
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Oversees all activities to implement the strategic vision of the D2K Lab
- Oversees the operations of the D2K Lab and helps to build and foster partnerships internally with departments, institutes, and centers at Rice, as well as externally with companies, local government, community organizations, and institutions in the Texas Medical Center
- May help to teach and develop curriculum along with other D2K Lab faculty
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Intellectual Contribution
- References/Recommendation Request
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a PhD or other doctoral degree in a relevant quantitative field (e.g., statistics, data science, applied & computational mathematics, computer science)?
- * Do you have five years of related data science experience, which includes a strong record as a leader in data science?