Position:TRiO Tutor Department:TRiO Upward Bound Description:
Our TRiO programs are looking for people interested in tutoring high school students (ages 14-18) and middle school students (ages 12-14) primarily in the areas of math, lab sciences, literature/composition and foreign languages. We are seeking reliable individuals who must possess good interpersonal communication skills, the ability to work with others, the desire to engage youth, strong organizational skills, and demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of disadvantaged students. Students served in this program are either low income, first generation college students, or show a need for academic support. This is a part-time (up to 10 hrs/wk), temporary position hired on a short-term, temporary contract.
- Provide information, advice, support and encouragement to students.
- Help students stay motivated.
- Help students understand course material.
- Help students prepare and study for quizzes, exams, and projects.
- Help students identify learning styles and improve study skills.
- Provide early referral to support services to ensure academic success.
- Provide early intervention through frequent (weekly) contact with students.
- Provide problem solving assistance appropriate to the individual student.
- Help build academic success strategies appropriate to the individual student.
- Serve as liaison to course instructors, students, and program staff.
- Maintain and report tutor contact log, timesheet and any other materials, to ETS Support Specialist.
- Subject area of tutor/mentor program.
- Tutoring methods and learning strategies and styles.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- The needs and challenges of students with socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
Required Documents:Cover Letter, Resume/CV Job Category:Short-term Temporary