Job location: JD Alexander Florida Polytechnic Main Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-05-22
Located along Florida’s I-4 High Tech Corridor, Florida Poly opened its doors in August 2014 as the state’s 12th university and the only one dedicated to core subjects in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM education). The non-traditional academic environment focuses on applied learning, specifically in technology and engineering. Small class sizes give faculty the opportunity to work closely with high-caliber students, and the most advanced technology, including a Supercomputer, 3D printing lab, media lab and nanotechnology lab, sets Florida Poly apart from other state universities. Florida Poly’s innovative approach to higher education allows students to learn strong fundamentals within a traditional university department structure, while giving them opportunities to apply their learning through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations like Cyber Security, Big Data Analytics, Machine Intelligence and more. The University partners closely with industry leading firms, and faculty members are rewarded for more than just publishing. Industry involvement, problem solving, and the commercialization of technology and research through start-ups and small businesses are encouraged. Job Title University Librarian Job Description Summary The University Librarian is responsible for the operations and implementation of Florida Polytechnic University digital collections and on-campus library services as well as academically-focused programming. This position also supervises management of the FIPRI (Florida Industrial and Phosphate Research Institute) library.
The University Librarian will be expected to collaborate with academic affairs leadership under the direction of the Provost and Vice Provosts to provide management decisions, including short and long-range planning, budget development and monitoring as it pertains to library and instructional resources, and collaborate with faculty, academic divisions and departments, leaders in Teaching and Learning, Institutional Research and Effectiveness, and Academic Support Services to help drive university initiatives of academic quality and student success. Job Description
- Establish forward thinking long-term goals, policies, and procedures for the library in accordance with the institution's mission and goals;
- Establish combined vision for the Florida Poly digital library and Florida Industrial and Phosphate Research Institute (FIPRI);
- Work closely with Florida Academic Library Services Cooperative (FALSC) to best utilize the resources and partnerships available through FALSC;
- Provide leadership for development of digital platforms, tools, and content in support of research, learning and outreach;
- Lead evaluation of opportunities to develop new digital services; identifies appropriate established and emerging technologies;
- Collaborate with faculty, staff and students to assess, create, oversee and leverage innovative collections;
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to support research initiatives at Florida Polytechnic University;
- Deliver information services through reference, bibliographic instruction, searching of electronic resources, and through the creation of research and collection guides;
- Maintain vendor relationships, participate in consortia for resource sharing and develop/utilize new models to obtain resources;
- Prepare and recommend annual budget; monitor budget expenditures; solicit alternative funding sources; assist with grant preparation and writing;
- Prepare regular reports;
- Collect and analyze research data relevant to the campus community;
- Manage textbook initiatives including open educational resources;
- Lead and actively participate in professional organizations that directly impact the library’s evolution and the professional development of the staff;
- Serve as campus contact for copyright and Intellectual Property queries, raise awareness of copyright issues in classrooms and with materials, facilitate the negotiation of intellectual rights management and obtaining of permissions;
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience in developing new services in an academic setting.
- The ability to manage projects and people in an environment of continuous change and improvement.
- A clear vision of how information services can contribute to a learning community.
- A proven, strong service orientation.
- An understanding of trends in information and educational technology.
- Strong knowledge of accessibility issues as they relate to library resources, user experience, and delivery.
- The ability to oversee, develop and deliver instructional services.
- Dependability, creativity, good judgment, professionalism, and dedication to sound principles of student development are paramount among necessary characteristics for this position.
- Disposition and proven work ethic to handle busy work cycles that include evenings and weekends
- ALA Accredited Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science and additional Master’s or doctorate (STEM field).
- A record of scholarly achievement and productivity.
- Five years of academic library administrative experience at the level of assistant director, director, or dean, including supervisory experience, long-range planning, budgeting, evaluation and assessment.
- Knowledge of library technologies and trends. Library management knowledge. Knowledge of higher education technology trends. Ability to manage and lead collegially.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, faculty, and staff of diverse backgrounds including sensitivity to their needs and concerns.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check.
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: This position is salary exempt. The normal work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., however, occasional overtime (weekends and evenings) may be required.
TARGET HIRING SALARY: $73,510 - $76,420, commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: The position is open until filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before continuing through the application. Once your application has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline.
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of the job announcements.This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.