Senior Tax Accountant
Since our founding in 1931, DeVry University has focused on delivering a different kind of education – one based on experiential learning with real-world applications. When you join our team, you’re choosing an institution that serves students who are different, too: a diverse group of go-getters from all walks of life.
We know our colleagues are integral to the success of the institution. At DeVry, we’re guided by our culture of care, and we embrace values that teach us to care for students, self and colleagues. It’s one way we position our colleagues for success.
We are looking for engaged, caring colleagues to join our organization in serving our students. We take extra pride in our dedicated support teams, as well as our outstanding faculty members who have often worked for years in the fields that they teach. We believe all our colleagues deserve opportunities to reach their goals. Whether it’s career advancement, maintaining a healthy lifestyle or saving for retirement, our comprehensive benefits and professional development offerings can help you meet your goals.
If you want to be a part of an organization focused on providing high-quality education, care and attention, we invite you to apply for a position today.
The Senior Tax Accountant is responsible for various accounting processes including preparing journal entries, preparing reports, reviewing and analyzing data and assisting with the preparation of federal and state tax returns. The Senior Tax Accountant will handle many complex accounting tasks within the department and work as a team player.
- Prepares monthly expense journal entries
- Prepares balance sheet reconciliations, including bank account reconciliations and cash clearing reconciliations.
- Responsible for escheatment process including due diligence letters and state filings.
- Assist with the preparation, review and filing federal and state tax returns in conjunction with external tax preparer
- Assists with preparation and filing of personal property tax filings
- Maintain tax schedules
- Prepares business license returns and ensures accurate and filed timely
- Responsible for the reconciliation, analysis and problem solving for some of the more complicated processes and accounts in the department.
- May assist in the preparation of the monthly financial statements.
- Works on special projects and handles other tasks as assigned.
- Manages policies to ensure accounting for all aspects within accounting and reporting comply with GAAP and SOX and ensure all policies are reviewed and updated.
- Adheres to internal control/compliance policy procedures and has high consciousness/awareness about the Code of Ethics.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Below are the minimum requirements of the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, MBA or graduate degree or CPA preferred.
- Must have a minimum of four or more years’ experience as a staff accountant and tax accounting
- Must be a team player with the ability to analyze and assess processes.
- Strong analytical, organizational, problem solving and communication skills required.
- Must have the ability to facilitate teamwork and cooperation at all levels within the organization and be able to work with limited supervision.
- Excellent PC skills are needed with proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.