Assistant Dean of Students
Assistant Dean of Students
Status: Full-time, exempt
Schedule: M-F, 8.30a.m. 4.30p.m 37.5 hour per week with a 30 minute lunch. May include evening and weekend work and travel based on position requirements and needs of the organization.
Reports to: Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs & Dean of Students
Direct reports: None
Start date: ASAP
Location: Chicago, IL
Everything we do is about the IES Abroad student. Our profoundly passionate team of study abroad professionals believes in creating once-in-a-lifetime educational adventures that transcend expectations. Our goal is to rock the world of some 9,000 study abroad students every year.
From our headquarters in Chicago to our 160+ study abroad programs in 85 global locations worldwide, we create authentic global education and life-affirming cultural experiences. We work at IES Abroad because we believe that every student should have the opportunity to go abroad - especially in a fun, safe, and superior academic and cultural environment.
We believe so strongly in the power of our program, that we actively recruit students from diverse populations and provide more than $5 million in scholarships year after year. We are proud that our students are as diverse and exciting as the countries we study.
We're not ashamed to admit, we're a little bit obsessed with study abroad.
Summary of position:
The Dean of Students Office contributes to the academic mission of IES Abroad and SAF by providing high quality health and safety programs for students and staff that minimize potential risk to students and IES Abroad/SAF overall. The Assistant Dean of Students will provide mentoring, training, and professional development programs and initiatives to our overseas staff members who in turn provide appropriate personal and intercultural challenges to our students while supporting them through a Code of Conduct that is respectful of all individuals and cultures.
- Train and develop SAF and IES Center Student Affairs staff in the areas of health, safety, and student conduct
- Assist with training Student Life staff worldwide through the development of training materials, delivery of in-person training, and training through technology such as web conferencing, and videos
- Coordinate and participate in 24/7 coverage of student matters with rotating Chicago staff members
- Assist with policy development in the areas of alcohol and other drugs, housing, and the Code of Student Responsibility
- Assist with policy implementation and interpretation in accordance with the IES Abroad Model Assessment Practices (IES MAP)
- Provide advice and support for staff on student judicial cases, housing issues, health education programs, intervention methods, and student orientations and re-entry session(s)
- Provide information to parents, home schools, and IES Abroad/SAF staff about student well-being abroad
- Responsible for other duties as assigned
Experience & Qualifications/Skills:
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years of experience in the area of student affairs, ideally as a department head in housing, new student/orientation programs, wellness, or judicial affairs
- Proven fluency (written and verbal) in Mandarin Chinese
- Training and development experience required
- Demonstrated student-centered approach
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to provide crisis intervention guidance and conflict mediation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work with many different constituent groups
- Proven sensitivity to cultural differences
- International study and/or work experience preferred
Education Licenses and/or Certifications etc.:
- MA in Student Personnel/Higher Education Administration or a similar field
Open until position is filled.
No phone calls or emailed status inquiries accepted.
Successful candidates will be contacted directly and will be sent the full Job Description.
How to Apply:
All applicants should submit an application including cover letter, resume, and salary requirements by clicking the URL below.
Please visit www.IESabroad.org/jobs for more information about working at IES Abroad.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
IES Abroad is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We strive to treat people with respect; fully utilizing employee's abilities and promoting workforce diversity.
We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation or genetic information or veteran status and/or any other status protected by applicable laws.