Coordinator, Center for Student Involvement
About SUNY Orange:
SUNY Orange was founded in 1950 as the first county-sponsored community college in the State University of New York system.
The college has earned its reputation as a pioneer and innovator in meeting the needs of its students and the area it primarily serves. SUNY Orange was the first two-year college in the nation to offer the associate degree nursing program and studies in electron microscopy; and in 1982, the college was the first community college to plan and co-sponsor with local chambers of commerce a business institute.
SUNY Orange has touched the lives of countless numbers of the county's 350,000 residents through its credit programs, non-credit programming and cultural events. As the needs of the community grow, the college will continue to play a significant role in the county's endeavor to face the challenges and to profit from the opportunities that await it.
Description of Position:
Working with the Director for the Center for Student Involvement, the Coordinator, Center for Student Involvement will develop and manage student activities programs designed to promote student growth and development and to successfully retain students. Coordinate and lead day to day program office activities, as well as perform research, assist with reports and monitor budgets. Exercise good judgment in the application and follow through of supervisor's directions, provide information on college student policies, procedures, standards and requirements, and establish and maintain good public relations with staff, students and the community at large. Evening and weekend work is occasionally required.
This position is located on our Newburgh Campus.
Education required: Bachelor's Degree or higher
Experience required: Three years of experience working with college students in a Student Involvement role (e.g. supporting student clubs and organizations, facilitating leadership/volunteer programs, organizing orientation/convocation or other large-scale student centered events.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Master's degree
- Two years related work experience with a background in developing student engagement opportunities
- Familiarity with Guided Pathways
- Community college or higher education experience.
- Ability to understand department and college policies, procedures, and practices with the ability to answer work-related questions; and interpret and apply these guidelines correctly in various situations.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement assigned responsibilities and to work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational, analytical and planning skills.
- Ability to manage interpersonal conflict situations requiring tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Ability to participate as a team member, ability to understand and interpret rules and regulations, and the ability to adjust to change with a positive attitude.
- Ability to travel out-of-state as well as locally to participate in meetings, conferences, and other activities related to the operations of the college.
- Ability to make decisions that will positively represent the college's reputation on a daily basis.
- Ability to understand and communicate effectively with students and co-workers.
- Event planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be self-motivated, flexible, creative and imaginative with the ability to speak in front of others.
- Creativity and the brainstorming of new ideas is an important aspect of the job.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse student populations and a wide variety of co-workers.
- Ability to create, plan and promote new and existing events on a regular basis.
- Bilingual skills
Position is a 12 month Staff & Chair, Grade II position
Position begins: ASAP
Deadline to Apply: January 21, 2019
SUNY Orange offers a very competitive benefits package which includes excellent low cost health insurance as well as a generous leave policy.
Notice of Non-Discrimination
Orange County Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identification,, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction or any other category protected by law. The College adheres to all federal and state civil rights laws prohibiting discrimination in public institutions of higher education.
Inquiries regarding this non-discrimination policy may be directed to:
Civil Rights Compliance Officer
115 South Street, Middletown NY 10940
Apply online at https://occc.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=105776
Create a SUNY Orange Employment Account by clicking on the APPLY NOW tab. Upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover Letter
- Resume OR employment application (located at www.sunyorange.edu/hr/forms )
- Name, Address and telephone number of three (3) business references
After submitting your resume the subsequent pages will enable you to upload the additional documents.