Assistant Professor of Dental Hygiene
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves nearly 14,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that nearly 90** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2018.
**Based on fall 2018 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2018-078
Posting Start Date: 4/16/2019
Minimum Education: Bachelors
Additional Documentation: Transcripts Required (upload as other)
Compensation: Bachelors - $47,262; Masters - $51,972
Assistant Professor of Dental Hygiene Description/Job Summary Under the general direction of the Associate Dean, the Assistant Professor, will be responsible for the instruction of students in the discipline of Dental Hygiene. The Assistant Professor will also participate in departmental and college wide activities in keeping with the mission and vision of Baltimore City Community College. Responsibilities/Duties Essential Functions:
- Design and teach assigned class session, leveraging digital content and multi-media resources in the classroom.
- Assess student engagement/understanding during each class session.
- Collect, grade, and report assignments and homework.
- Assess and monitor student progress and understanding throughout the course.
- Remediate student's lack of prerequisite knowledge.
- Offer content help through various means.
- Select course materials.
- Place the syllabus, readings, and homework on blackboard.
- Maintain and update the syllabus and course material.
- Set up online courses (for relevant faculty).
- Create new digital instructional materials.
- Exhibit a spirit of inquiry about teaching and learning, student development, and evaluation methods.
- Use evidence-based resources to improve and support teaching.
- Assist colleagues in the completion and maintenance of program accreditation.
- Develop an area of expertise in the academic dental hygiene educator role.
- Share teaching expertise with colleagues and others.
- Demonstrate integrity as a scholar.
- Provide office hours.
- Communicate with students via email, phone, and online discussion boards.
- Provide academic advice and guidance to students.
- Submit grades on time via the faculty portal.
- Manage incompletes and make-ups.
- Identify individual learning styles and unique needs of students who are culturally diverse, traditional vs. non- traditional, at-risk (e.g., educationally disadvantaged, learning and/or physically challenged, social, and economic issues).
- Advise learners in ways to help them meet their professional goals.
- Create a learning environment that facilitates self- reflection, personal goal setting, and socialization to the role of the dental hygienist.
- Foster the development of learners in these areas: cognitive, psychomotor, and affective.
- Adapt teaching styles and interpersonal interactions to facilitate learning behaviors.
- Assist learners to engage in thoughtful and constructive self and peer evaluation.
- Encourage professional development of learners.
- Provide input for the development of dental hygiene program standards and policies regarding admission, progression, and graduation.
- Use a variety of strategies to assess and evaluate learning in these domains: cognitive, psychomotor, and affective.
- Incorporate current research in assessment and evaluation practices.
- Use existing evaluation tools for assessing clinical practice and educational outcomes.
- Evaluate available resources for learner assessment and evaluation.
- Select appropriate assessment instruments.
- Implement evaluation strategies that are appropriate to the learner and learning outcomes.
- Analyze assessment and evaluation data.
- Design tools for assessing clinical practice.
- Create appropriate assessment instruments to evaluate educational outcomes.
- Use assessment and evaluation data to enhance the teaching-learning process.
- Advise learners regarding assessment and evaluation criteria.
- Provide timely, constructive, and thoughtful feedback to learners.
- Actively participate in the design of the curriculum to reflect institutional philosophy and mission, current dental hygiene and health care trends, community and societal needs, educational principles, theory and research, and use of technology.
- Demonstrate knowledge of curriculum development including: identifying program outcomes, developing competency statements, writing course objectives, selecting appropriate learning activities, selecting appropriate clinical experiences, and selecting appropriate evaluation strategies.
- Assist in revision of the curriculum based on evaluation of program outcomes, learner needs, societal and health care trends and stakeholders feedback (e.g. from learners, agency personnel, accrediting agencies).
- Implement curricular revisions using appropriate change theories and strategies.
- Update courses to reflect the philosophical and theoretical framework of the curriculum.
- Design courses to reflect the philosophical and theoretical framework of the curriculum.
- Create and maintain community and clinical partnerships that support the educational goals.
- Evaluate educational goal attainment through community and clinical partnerships.
- Implement program assessment models.
- Analyze results of program evaluation and initiate curricular change.
- Critique the program evaluation methods and plan.
- Maintain membership in professional organizations.
- Participate actively in professional organizations through committee work and/or leadership roles.
- Demonstrate a commitment to life-long learning.
- Participate in professional development opportunities that will increase effectiveness in the role.
- Use feedback gained from self, peers, learners, and administrative evaluation to improve role effectiveness.
- Acquire knowledge of legal and ethical issues relevant to higher education and dental hygiene education.
- Mentor and support faculty colleagues in the role of an academic dental hygiene educator.
- Model cultural sensitivity when advocating for change.
- Integrate a long term, innovative, and creative perspective into the academic dental hygiene educator role.
- Evaluate organizational effectiveness in dental hygiene education.
- Enhance the visibility of dental hygiene and its contributions by providing leadership in the dental hygiene program, parent institution and community.
- Participate in interdisciplinary efforts to address health care and educational needs within the institution and locally.
- Implement strategies for change within the dental hygiene program and institution.
- Create a culture for change within the dental hygiene program.
- Promote innovative practices in educational environments.
- Develop leadership skills in others to shape and implement change.
- Use legal and ethical principles to influence, design, and implement policies and procedures related to learners, faculty, and the educational environment.
- Adapt to changes created by external factors.
- Support change as an early adopter.
- Identify how social, economic, political, and institutional forces influence dental hygiene and higher education.
- Network, collaborate, and partner with other disciplines to enhance dental hygiene’s influence within the academic community.
- Determine professional goals within the content of academic dental hygiene and the mission of the dental hygiene program and parent institution.
- Integrate the values of respect, collegiality, professionalism, and caring to build an organizational climate that fosters the development of learners and colleagues.
- Consider the goals of the dental hygiene program and the mission of the parent institution when proposing change or managing issues.
- Participate on institutional and departmental committees.
- Assume a leadership role in various levels of institutional governance.
Required Qualifications Minimum Education and Training Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Dental Hygiene
- 2 years teaching experience
- Licensure as an active registered dental hygienist in the State of Maryland (or eligibility)
- CPR certification
- Yearly PPD (tuberculin) testing
Preferred Qualifications Preferred Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree
- 5 years teaching experience
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at [email protected]
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.
Email this job to a friend × Subject: Your email address: Recipient's email address: Personal message: I came across this job and thought you may be interested. Human Verification: Send E-mail