Bowdoin College is looking to recruit an individual that enjoys working in a collaborative, team environment that is interested in learning and creating new possibilities. The position of Applications Programmer supports and installs applications, develops integrations and may include database programming. Some custom solutions will require application design, development and testing. Our team will expect you to know or learn relational databases, application stacks, testing methodologies, production support, and the development lifecycle.Design, develop, and maintain custom solutions which utilize Bowdoin's application architecture
Maintain strong partnerships across the campus and with external vendors to meet Bowdoin's application needs in a mixed Oracle/Java/Microsoft environment
Use efficient and effective application development processes, tools and techniques throughout the software development lifecycle including ideation, technical design, functional and performance testing, and software migration management
Mon. - Fri. 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Occasional evenings and weekend hours as needed.
Bowdoin College complies with applicable provisions of federal and state laws that prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment, admission, or access to its educational or extracurricular programs, activities, or facilities based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry and national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, marital status, place of birth, genetic predisposition, veteran status, or against qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities on the basis of disability, or any other legally protected statuses. Education/Skills:
- Oracle or SQL Server DB
- Application programming
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and a facility for communicating with non-technical clients.
- Excellent problem solving skills in everything from the hardware to the client.
- Ability to work both in a team environment and independently as required.
- HS Diploma or GED equivalent
- Bachelor's degree
- Application installation
- Knowledge of Banner Higher Education Student software
- Knowledge of Tomcat, IIS and Linux
- Familiarity with college administrative systems such as Admissions, Student Records, Finance, etc.
- Knowledge of reporting tools such as Cognos, Crystal Reports, Microsoft Reporting Services, etc.
- Knowledge of application analysis and design techniques
- Knowledge of analysis and design techniques and system modeling tools
- A minimum of three years of extensive, current experience programming including database programming.
- Experience working with relational databases, specifically Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server.
- Proven history with the development lifecycle (design, develop, test, document, integrate and support)
- Experience supporting production code/applications
- Familiarity with web technologies and web services such as HTTP, XML, JSON, CSS, REST and SOAP is necessary.
- Object-oriented programming in languages such as VB, C# or Java.
- Experience with Windows and Linux.
- Experience integrating and supporting applications.