COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST-PAS Adm - Provost Office
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST-PAS Adm - Provost Office
PAS Adm - Provost Office
- This is an entry-level position for a Communications Specialist who will create digital content for the Faculty Data Project (FDP) in Duke's Office of the Provost. This position designs engaging and innovative content to support outreach and communications to Duke internal users as well as external viewers of our systems, including [email protected], dFac and other systems.
- [email protected] is a public-facing system of web profiles for Duke faculty and researcher, populated with information from Duke institutional systems. The Scholars team provides a wide range of support materials for faculty, students, and power users, and is committed to keeping all stakeholders informed about new features and updates. The Communications Specialist plays an essential role in making communications engaging and useful to target audiences.
- The ideal candidate will be a recent communications or marketing graduate with a strong visual sense and an interest in learning user expeience design. A background in graphic design principles will complement our team's skills and help us simplify complex technical interactions by providing engaging, streamlined communications and interfaces. Our team works directly with users so this is a great opportunity to learn the effectiveness of your design decisions.
Developing content and digital assets (40%)
- Design, create, edit and develop promotional communications including social media, publications, handouts, swag, digital signage, videos, and more.
- Develop new communications that reflect the [email protected] visual identity while adhering to Duke's style guide and co-branding guidelines.
- Maintain a regular presence on social media sites (Twitter and LinkedIn).
- Distribute communications through strategic channels and others.
- Assist key team members in creating, tracking and implementing strategic communication and marketing plans; propose goals/outcomes, tactics, milestones, and budget for approval.
- Explore media, tools and platforms for creating, monitoring and distributing communications.
- Track progress of initiatives, report on status, and make adjustments on a weekly cycle.
- Help conduct usability testing sessions, focus groups, and informal meetings to solicit feedback on communications.
- Monitor analytics including responses, open rates, sessions and user engagement.
- Proactively identify and suggest strategies for improvement within the project team.
- Collaborate with central web developers and designers regarding user experience, usability, accessibility and basic web security.
- Help develop and implement frameworks and templates created by Duke web designers on websites, digital content and in [email protected]
- Create mockups for new functionality in Scholars to help developers apply frameworks and templates consistently. Work closely with developers as needed.
- As needed, review and ensure that all work produced by our team reflects brand standards
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
- Work requires website management, graphic designs, communications and marketing skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree in communication, graphic design, marketing or equivalent.
- Work generally requires one year related experience in web design and related graphics, media management, promotions or public relations. A combination of relevant education and/or experience is also applicable.
- Ability to create images and develop graphics, selecting colors, images, text style, and layout.
- Proficiency in graphics design software such as Adobe Creative Cloud, specifically InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Competency with content management systems, particularly Drupal, and with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Enthusiasm for exploring tools and services and identifying new trends in visual design.
- Commitment to excellence in writing, presenting, and communicating.
- Flexibility and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Motivation, independence, self-direction, attention to detail and a focus on customer service.
1290 COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communication and marketing skills normally acquiredthrough a bachelor's degree in a related field.
Work generally requires one year related experience in advertising,marketing, media, promotions or public relations.OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OREXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.