Development Technician IV
Development Technician IV Job Number Full/Part Time Schedule Salary 201810024222 Full Time 8AM - 5PM $54,935 - $66,148 Position Information The Bourns College of Engineering Center for Environmental Research and Technology (CE-CERT) is seeking a self-starting, highly motivated Development Technician to join the Emissions and Fuels Research (EFR) group at CE-CERT. The EFR group is a recognized leader in the emissions research of combustion sources (vehicles, trucks, generators, ocean vessels, locomotives, construction, farming and cooking). In general, the applicant will be assisting EFR's research programs, maintaining our laboratories, and guiding students and staff on safe practices. The applicant is expected to setup, secure, fabricate, diagnose, troubleshoot, and provide guidance to students and other staff on best practices. Candidates with good hands-on skills around vehicles, engines (heavy and light duty), electrical (instrumentation, power, and networking) are encouraged to apply. This position will bridge traditional disciplinary boundaries in all forms of mobile and station combustion sources, advanced analytical methods, and systems integration.
Applicant should have experience in designing and preparing plans for projects that include equipment fabrication, facility modification, and experimental setup where applicant would provide recommendations for designs and test setups to Principal Investigators, graduate students/interns, technical staff, and visiting researchers. Specifically, applicant should be able to set up laboratory equipment for CE-CERT two chassis dynamometers, install new engines on heavy duty engine dynamometer and oversee operations of a cooking laboratory. Applicant will supervise and train technical staff, graduate students, and visiting researchers the installation of safe laboratory practices, tool management, and provide implementation of CE-CERT's standard operation of procedures. Applicant will work with facilities to oversee all laboratory functions to ensure safety codes are followed. Applicant will make recommendations to principal investigators, researchers, students (graduate and undergraduate) on equipment and/or laboratory maintenance while recommending specifications and cost saving measures. Applicant will coordinate and drive routes with researchers to achieve results while driving tractor that requires a Class A license.
Applicant skills should include an understanding of engine and vehicle technologies, electrical skills, Class A truck driving license, data logging, and instrumentation. Applicant should be able to perform fabrication, computer networking, welding, troubleshooting, performing tests, and assisting with experiments. Applicant should be able to read and learn the Code of Federal regulations specifically 40 CFR Part 1066, 1065, 1033, 86.1370, and ISO 8178 and other relevant SAE, ASME and ASTM standard. Applicant should be able to travel on international waters which requires extended hours to accommodate field-testing projects.
Minimum Requirements (1) Graduation from high school or a GED and five (5) years of technical and craft experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
(2) Must possess a Class A license.
(3) Experience with fabrication and assembly of complex equipment and experiment design. Experience with installation, modification, repair, and maintenance of equipment in a research laboratory.
(4) Experience with incorporating factors such as cost, operational life, tolerances, surface finishes, and corrosion in the assembly and fabrication of equipment.
(5) Skill in performing mathematical calculations necessary to perform the job responsibilities.
(6) Skill in communicating effectively with the general public clearly and coherently.
(7) Skill in organizing tasks, documents and materials with efficiency and accuracy. Experience in directing, organizing, and prioritizing workload to meet required deadlines and research objectives.
(8) Skill in reading and understanding technical documents such as complex technical procedures, instructions, manuals, diagrams, and schematic drawings.
(9) Experience with training, supervising, and evaluating the performance of assigned personnel. Experience in overseeing projects from initial to final stage.
(10) Knowledge of safety rules and regulations. Knowledge Hazardous Material.
(10) Skill and experience building, trouble-shooting, and enhancing computers and computer operating systems, especially in the event of hard drive failure during testing at off site or remote locations.
Preferred Qualifications (1) Trained in CPR.
(2) Highly energetic and ability to multi-task during testing.
(3) Experience operating heavy equipment.
(4) Experience with principles and methods of training or instructing individuals in safety-related topics.
Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
- UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
- In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Job Description Details View complete Job Description for this position