Assistant Director of Student Affairs - SMFA at Tufts
DescriptionThe Office of the Dean of Student Affairs supports dynamic co-curricular learning and engagement for all undergraduate and graduate students within the School of Arts & Science, the School of Engineering at Tufts and soon the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (SMFA at Tufts). The department partners closely with colleagues across Division of Student Affairs (Fraternity and Sorority Life, the Group of Seven, Judicial Affairs, Residential Life and Campus Life) on a wide variety of campus programs and initiatives. As a central resource that supports the safety, dynamic engagement and wellbeing of all Tufts AS&E students, the Student Affairs office at SMFA will coordinate communication between campus constituencies and departments; support programs and activities to advance student learning; facilitate the coordinated support of individual students, and; work cooperatively with members of the faculty and the colleges’ senior leadership team to ensure the successful achievement of institutional and divisional goals, vision, and values.
Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs @SMFA, the Assistant Director of Student Affairs will be responsible for coordinating resources and administrative responses for a cohort of graduate and undergraduate students in the SMFA at Tufts. The Assistant Director will act as a point of contact for individual students in addressing community standards or specific behavioral or community concerns, and will have a key role in leading the SMFA Office of Student Affairs. Responsibilities will include 1) oversight of general student resource coordination for SMFA at Tufts students 2) ensuring smooth and consistent communication and initial responses to student matters involving Student Affairs, Residential Life, the International Center, Tufts University Police, Campus Life, Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, Judicial Affairs, Health Promotion, Health and Wellness Services, the Group of Seven, and other offices 3) supporting SMFA-focused student programming, including the ARTS @ Tufts Pre Orientation program 6) serving as departmental liaison to various campus offices, including Athletics, Residential Life, Residential Facilities, Facilities Management, Community Relations, 6) supporting international and off-campus students and 7) representing the Office of Student Affairs and SMFA at Tufts student interests in various campus committees. The Assistant Director will also take on special projects and other duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and will serve as a member of the on-call rotation.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area of study.
- 2-3 years of experience in campus life or student activities.
- Excellent interpersonal, critical thinking skills; ability to manage and evaluate competing priorities and juggle multiple tasks to completion.
- Ability to support and relate well to undergraduate and graduate students.
- Demonstrated commitment to pluralism and inclusion.
- Strong social media proficiency, computer skills, spreadsheet/database management experience.
- Experience planning and leading educational events/programs.
- Master’s degree in higher education, student development, or a related field.
- A demonstrated understanding of strategic communications planning, experience utilizing data and assessment to inform decision making, and effective program development skills are all preferred.
- Experience working effectively with young adults, families, faculty, and staff members, preferably within an arts focused higher education setting.
- Candidates should have demonstrated experience with conflict resolution and mediation, staff training, and sensitivity and flexibility in dealing with problems and situations.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment/decision making and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; proven ability to develop and maintain productive, collegial working relationships with students, parents, staff and community members outside the University.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Travel between campuses, some night and weekend hours during peak academic times.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Job: Student Services
Organization: SMFA at Tufts
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Oct 25, 2018, 1:53:18 PM