Sep 18, 2018
A General Mechanic performs journey-level work, skilled and semi-skilled level work in a combination of other trades in the repair and maintenance of facilities and equipment. Participate/assist in maintenance, repair and installation.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager for custodial services and building maintenance, as well as the Senior Manager for mechanical systems, the Building General Mechanic is responsible for maintaining Pratt buildings and facilities in a safe and appropriate manner. The General Mechanic will assist, schedule, perform and coordinate the work for Pratt Institute.
- Perform assigned general maintenance duties required to maintain and repair campus buildings, structures, machinery and equipment, involving some skill in carpentry, plumbing, painting and/or the electrical or mechanical trades.
- Perform preventive and predictive maintenance to buildings and facilities.
- Conduct routine inspections of facilities, including interior and exterior building structure, windows, doors, lighting, ceiling, fire equipment, boilers, electrical, HVAC, equipment controls and all systems and components.
- Schedule, troubleshoot and perform maintenance and repairs to buildings and facilities including: Carpentry, painting, hardware and locks, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, generators, equipment controls and the moving of furniture and equipment.
- Snow and ice removal.
- Respond to work orders for troubleshooting, repair and feedback to Supervisor.
- Coordinate licensed inspections as required.
- Assist Senior Managers and Lead Mechanics in:
- Maintain tools and equipment required for maintenance tasks and inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Requests to order replacement equipment and supplies.
- Assure that maintenance requests and work orders are completed satisfactorily.
- Inspect building machinery and equipment in to assure proper functioning and building operation.
- Maintaining daily logs and other records of work and materials required for each work order.
- Respond to all emergency repairs including after work hours, weekends and holidays.
General Mechanic will be responsible to make emergency repairs within area of knowledge and responsibility.
Work schedule to include all shifts weekly and weekend, during winter break and at all times when essential Facilities services are required.
Must comply with all safety requirements for work, clothing and personal protective equipment.
Perform all other related duties as assigned.
HOURLY RATE IS $28.9972
Education: High School Diploma or equivalency required; Associate degree preferred.
Experience: Must have at least three years’ experience in maintenance and repair of facilities and experience or combination in any two trades (i.e. electrical, carpentry, HVAC, plumbing or painting). Experience in higher educational institutions and colleges preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and License: The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in one of the following areas:
- Building carpentry, and maintenance procedures as; HVAC, electrical and mechanical systems.
- NYS Driver License required.
- Ability to communicate with public in a positive, courteous and respectful manner.
- Must have the ability to work well with diverse populations; and demonstrated level of cultural competence.
Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.