Physics and Engineering Full-time Faculty
Job location: TP/SS - Science North
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2018-12-03
Montgomery College is Maryland’s premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success. We give employees the environment, tools, and opportunities they need to make a difference.Job TitlePhysics and Engineering Full-time FacultyJob Description SummaryTitle: Physics and Engineering Full-time Faculty
Position #: F02115
Location: Takoma Park/Silver Spring
Montgomery College, Takoma Park/ Silver Spring is seeking a Physics and Engineering full-time faculty member to fill a position starting August 2019. We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher who exhibits a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and the ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner. The engineering transfer program at MC is the largest program among the community colleges with 1400 declared majors enrolled. This position is part of a collective bargaining unit.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College.Job Description
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Faculty members will be expected to teach both lecture and laboratory classes in the areas of introductory and calculus based physics as well as freshman/sophomore level engineering courses.
- All faculty must have flexible schedules to accommodate course load (possible night classes). Opportunities exist for faculty to teach summer session.
- Faculty members will be expected to serve on department, discipline, campus and college committees, maintain an active program of personal professional development, and participate in professional organizations and activities.
- Montgomery College is a student-centered college. Candidates must be willing to occasionally participate in club sponsorships and/or overnight field trips.
- Mentoring, advising, articulation, and proactively arranging for scholarships/ research or internship opportunities for students at Montgomery College and various transfer institutions is expected.
- Master’s degree in Physics or Engineering.
- At least two semesters of recent full-time or equivalent experience teaching calculus based and algebra based physics sequence courses at the College level.
- Demonstrable ability to develop and instruct physics laboratory courses.
- Strong background in physics education, including a clear research program in physics pedagogy.
- Publications and presentations at AAPT.
- Strong interest or a research background or experience in teaching physics in an interactive or laboratory based or studio format.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A Ph.D. in Physics or Engineering.
- A strong background in modern physics and quantum mechanics is preferred.
- Preference will be given to applicants with proven ability to write grant proposals.
- Preference will also be given to applicants with demonstrable commitment to understanding and effectively teaching a diverse student population.
- The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to the effective use of state-of-the art technology for the improvement of student learning.
- Applicants are expected to include a statement of teaching philosophy with their application.
- Please submit unofficial transcript of highest degree earned.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- Online applications must be received by January 11, 2019.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.Closing DateFriday, January 11, 2019
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: [email protected]
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.