Associate Vice President for Benefits, Compensation and Payroll
Posting DateApril 5, 2019 Position TitleAssociate Vice President for Benefits, Compensation and Payroll Vacancy #V-1531 DepartmentHuman Resources DivisionHuman Resources Job Description
Reporting to the Vice President for Human Resources, the Associate Vice President for Benefits, Compensation and Payroll has responsibility for providing strategic oversight and leading the development and implementation of policies, practices and administrative systems in the areas of Benefits, Compensation and Payroll. The AVP will establish and implement short and long term organizational goals, strategic plans, policies and operating procedures. With the implementation of Workday, this leadership role offers the opportunity to make a significant impact during a period where the University is proactively implementing enhancements and improvements of its systems and operations to strengthen the University’s position in higher education. The AVP will supervise the Director of Benefits, Director of Classification, Compensation and Performance, Director of Payroll, and their respective teams.
- Oversee the Benefits team to ensure the smooth operation of the day-to day operations including the administration of health, dental and ancillary benefits, pension and retirement benefits, and other activities of the University in accordance with State and Federal guidelines.
- Provides direction and leadership to the Classification, Compensation and Performance team on the administration of managerial, unclassified and classified staffing operations while ensuring compliance with multiple collective bargaining agreements and New Jersey State civil service rules and regulations. Oversee the managerial and professional staff reclassification, performance evaluation and reappointment process.
- Oversee the Payroll team in the administration and operations of programs, policies and procedures related to employee compensation, including payroll and timekeeping for an employee population of approximately 5,600. Ensure the Payroll team’s execution of on-time and accurate payrolls in compliance with state/federal requirements and collective bargaining agreements.
- Undergraduate degree is required; Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive leadership experience directly related to the responsibilities specified.
- Knowledge of federal and state benefits reporting regulations and procedures.
- Experience with Workday HCM, and Payroll and Benefits strongly preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and the ability to quickly learn new applications.
- Dynamic, articulate leader with proven ability to communicate clearly in both written and verbal form.
- Demonstrable interpersonal and problem-solving skills with a proven track record of developing and maintaining effective working relationships with a wide range of employee constituents.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service, and to valuing diversity.
- Higher education and/or public sector experience in a unionized environment is preferred.
Commensurate with experience.Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).