Posting DetailsPosting Details Working Title Custodian 1 Posting Number 2018033CP Position Information Classification Title Custodian 1 Classification Code 678I RCW Exemption Criteria No Exemption EWU Position Number C99421 CUPA Code No Match FLSA Non-Exempt Bargaining Unit BU 1 % Full Time 100 Salary / Wage Range CS - 27 Salary Information
$29,664 – $33,276Anticipated Start Date July Term of Appointment 12 Location Cheney, Washington County Spokane Project Description Project Duration Background Check Yes - Both Responsible HR User Vara Lyn Conrath Responsible HR User Email address [email protected] Posting Text Job Summary
Eastern Washington University is seeking self-motivated, independent workers for Custodian 1. Positions in this occupational category perform a variety of custodial, housekeeping, and general maintenance functions to maintain the cleanliness and care of state agencies’, facilities, and institutions. This recruitment will be used to fill current and future openings in the Custodial Services Department.
On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 10 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses.
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing and retaining the diversity of its faculty, staff, students and academic programs. We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
Successful candidate must be able to lift up to 25 pounds on frequent basis and carry up to 75 pounds on an occasional basis. Successful candidate must be able to pass a pre-placement physical.
This position, during the course of university employment, will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 18. Successful applicant will be required to pass a background check.
This position is covered by the Washington Federation of State Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.Physical Demands
If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at [email protected]Pre-Placement Physical Yes Hearing Test Yes Medical Monitoring Post Hire No Protective Equipment
Gloves, goggles/ face shield, ear plugs, respiratory protection, and rubber bootsRequired Qualifications
- Valid driver’s license
- Minimum age of 18.
- Physical ability to do the job.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must have the ability to learn institutional custodial techniques and requirements.
- Must have excellent customer service skills.
- Must be a team-oriented worker with flexibility to assist fellow coworkers throughout campus.
- Must be able to work any shifts and any days.
- Must be able to read, write and understand written documents.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting, universal accessibility, cultural competency and/or diversity
- Knowledge of maintenance and operation of various custodial equipment.
- Prior professional housekeeping or custodial experience
- Institutional or industrial custodial experience
- Able to work overtime/extended hours on occasion.
Varies depending of work site location.Posting Date 05/30/2018 Open Until Further Notice Yes Closing Date Screening to Begin TBD Special Instructions to Applicants
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, email addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume.
3. Complete the online application form.
4. Respond to the online questions if applicable.
Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools, buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washer, high speed buffers and vacuum, broom, mop, squeegee for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc. This can and will require riding equipment where required.Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 20 Responsibility / Duty
Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies (mix only as directed).
Perform cleaning and related activities in areas within a reasonable distance from buildings using hand-operated tools or small power equipment (activities such as removing snow or debris, sweeping sidewalks or stairs).Perform maid services in housing if required.May assist in other areas when necessary. Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 15 Responsibility / Duty
Strip, clean, buff, and apply floor sealer and floor finish to floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets.Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 10 Responsibility / Duty
Clean and sanitize restrooms/bathrooms and fixtures that are in said facilities in accordance with established practices and procedures.Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 10 Responsibility / Duty
Clean, dust and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; empty wastebaskets and trash containers; empty and clean ashtrays and cigarette urns; replace light bulbs; refill restroom dispensers.Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 10 Responsibility / Duty
Wash walls and equipment; use ladders when required in work assignments.Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 5 Responsibility / Duty
Wash interior or easily accessible exterior windows. Cleaning rags and dust mops.Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 3 Responsibility / Duty
Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc.Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 3 Responsibility / Duty
Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 2 Responsibility / Duty
Process recycling.Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 2 Responsibility / Duty
Lock and unlock assigned buildings; secure building when facilities are not in use by checking for unlocked doors and windows; report any unauthorized occupants; turn out lights.Essential Function Indicator Yes Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- Do you have a valid Driver's License?
- Are you at least 18 years of age?
- Do you offer a high school diploma or GED?
- This position may be assigned to work days, nights, graveyard and may include weekends as part of the assigned shift. Will you be able to work any assigned shift?
- Do you have the ability to learn EWU custodial techniques and requirements?
- This position requires excellent customer service skills. Please briefly describe your work experience in customer service.
(Open Ended Question)
- Preferred Qualification: Knowledge of maintenance and operation of various custodial equipment. Please list the equipment you have operated in past job settings.
(Open Ended Question)
- Preferred Qualification: Do you have prior professional housekeeping or professional custodial experience?
- Preferred Qualification: Do you have institutional and/or industrial custodial experience?
- Preferred Qualification: Are you able to work overtime and/or extended hours on occasion?
- Cover Letter
- DD214 Form
- Other Document #1
- Other Document #2