Administrative Assistant 3 - Engineering & Design
Posting DetailsPosting Details Working Title Administrative Assistant 3 - Engineering & Design Posting Number 2018087CP Position Information Classification Title Admin Assistant 3 Classification Code 105G RCW Exemption Criteria No Exemption EWU Position Number C99167 CUPA Code No Match FLSA Non-Exempt Bargaining Unit BU 1 % Full Time 100% Salary / Wage Range CS - 39 Salary Information
Salary range (expressed as monthly amounts): beginning – middle – end of range:
$2,950 – $3,399 – $3,833
Salary is DOE/DOQ.Anticipated Start Date Position is available now Term of Appointment 12 months per year Location Cheney County Spokane Project Description
N/AProject Duration Background Check Yes - Both Responsible HR User Lori Livingstone Responsible HR User Email address [email protected] (inquiries only) Posting Text Job Summary
The College of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics seeks an experienced professional Administrative Assistant 3 to provide support to our Department of Engineering & Design. This new position is available now.
Administrative Assistants perform varied administrative and support duties. Positions are delegated higher-level administrative duties and/or are delegated one or more major program activities as a stand-alone function and responsibility, and which would otherwise be performed by the supervisor.
This position will provide a wide variety of administrative support for the Department of Engineering & Design, which includes multiple distinct programs – mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, technology, and visual communication design. The person hired for this position must have demonstrated experience and/or ability to perform the following essential functions:
- Fulfill delegated administrative functions related to budget: budget preparation and management; develop budget estimates; monitor budget status and expenditures; maintain, initiate and/or approve expenditures on program budgets; coordinate equipment purchases;
- Support budgeting and administration of grants, grant proposals, and grant proposals;
- Coordinate and oversee day-to-day department operations, function as the department representative and resource, and have extensive contact with students, program participants and outside entities;
- Monitor department and program activities; resolve problems within delegated scope of authority; exercise independent judgment in interpreting and applying rules and regulations;
- Provide independent information and advice to students, staff, program participants and/or the public;
- Coordinate personnel matters for both staff and faculty, such as recruitment, appointment, and promotion, and in collaboration with college staff;
- Provide secretarial support to Department Chair; keep supervisor’s calendar; makes travel arrangements for the department; screens, prioritizes, and distributes mail; transcribes minutes, screens calls and visitors;
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our student, faculty, staff, and the public.
This position requires a mastery of multi-tasking, and the ability to coordinate and track data, documents and events for multiple people and purposes. Exemplary candidates will be capable of navigating a dynamic environment utilizing organization and efficiency. Individual hired for the position will be responsible for independently planning, organizing, and prioritizing work of the position to meet internal and external deadlines. Position will be responsible for initiating action to ensure individual and department tasks and goals are met.
See complete listing of Responsibilities provided below.
Screening of applications will begin January 4, 2019; applications for this position will be accepted at least through that date. Position is available now. All materials will be held in strict confidence, and references will not be contacted prior to candidate notification.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
Optional: Contact the Office of Human Resources if you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form which describes the physical and mental demands associated with this position.Pre-Placement Physical No Hearing Test No Medical Monitoring Post Hire No Protective Equipment
- High school graduation or equivalent; at least two years’ college coursework or completed degree is strongly preferred;
- At least 3 years’ full time work experience in a similar position providing administrative support; to be considered qualifying, your experience must meet the following criteria:
- 3 years’ experience must be beyond entry level work
- Work experience must include responsibility for budgets and fiscal activities
- Work experience must demonstrate both (1) ability to successfully handle a demanding workload with overlapping deadline; and (2) proven attention to detail, initiative and ability to take direction and work independently;
- Strong computer skills, including all of the following:
- MS Office – Ability to perform complex tasks such as merge fields, design tables, create spreadsheets to develop and maintain records;
- Database management – Ability to create new databases, enter data, sort, import/export files in database, create reports;
- Overall knowledge – Intermediate skills with the ability to troubleshoot own workstation and to train others on software;
- Ability to navigate various screens to gather information;
- Email – Ability to send messages to multiple recipients, make contact lists, send attachments;
- Internet – Ability to efficiently search and retrieve information;
- Ability to assist others with computer problems – email, internet, word processing and other basic hardware and software issues as requested; and
- Ability to learn website maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is sensitive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of the students, faculty, administrators and external contacts
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration or related field;
- Additional years’ work experience performing similar administrative support functions beyond the required 3 years’ experience
- Full time work experience in higher education
- 2 or more years’ experience using university administrative systems, or equivalent, such as Blackboard/Canvas, EagleNet, Banner and others
See Job Summary for desired skills and abilitiesWork Schedule Type Regular Work Schedule
100% 12 month
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your application materials through our online applicant portal located at http://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resources Services at (509) 359-2381. All materials will be held in strictest confidence.
Application materials must include:
- Cover letter, which addresses each of the qualifications of the position, required and preferred if applicable. The preferred format is to provide a bulleted list within the body of the cover letter.
- Resume to include work history and major duties, education, and any specialized training or skills related to the position.
- List of at least 3 professional references including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and their connection to you.
Budget & Fiscal Tasks
- Maintain and modify fiscal record keeping systems, databases, and spreadsheets; review fiscal records; identify trends; assist in formulating corrective action;
- Maintain a record keeping system for recording budget transactions; review budget reports, verify accuracy and take corrective action if necessary; reconcile budget status reports and prepare expenditure projections; notify appropriate individual of any projected or actual over- or under-expenditures;
- Order supplies and equipment using purchase requisitions, interdepartmental purchase orders, or procurement card as appropriate;
- Assist faculty and staff with miscellaneous expense reimbursements;
- Maintain purchasing records and resolve problems; review, approve and allocate purchase to proper budget and category; ensure compliance with departmental, institutional and/or granting agency policies, rules and regulations;
- Maintain department personnel and payroll records; prepare Personnel Action Forms to implement personnel and salary changes; calculate salary and benefits costs; initiate, record and ensure the accuracy of personnel and payroll action documents;
- Maintain and process travel expense records; ensure compliance with state and institution regulations and procedures; allocate travel expenses to appropriate budgets;
- Prepare, compile and provide fiscal reports such as year-end reports, budgetary reports, and auditing reports;
- Analyze revenue and expenditures for course fee accounts and suggest changes as appropriate;
- Assist with the development of budgets for grant or program requests;
- Perform related budget and fiscal duties as required.
Department Administrative Support
- Evaluate, develop or update department and office procedures to promote efficiency, and ensuring alignment with College and university standards;
- Organize, coordinate, direct and/or fulfill delegated departmental operations;
- Provide information and advice to students, staff, faculty and/or the public regarding department and its programs’ content, policies, procedures and activities; recommend alternative courses of action;
- Assist with marketing efforts, such as promoting Departmental programs on campus and/or with outside organizations and entities; may make public presentations;
- Attend meetings as department representative; represent the Chair as delegated or assigned; may serve as the primary contact in assigned areas;
- Confer with campus constituents, such as the College, other departments, and other entities to ensure departmental processes are in alignment with university and College standards; monitor departmental activities in relation to established goals and standards;
- Use word processing, graphics, statistical, spreadsheet and/or data base software; effectively use established university systems; acquire and maintain a high level of proficiency with any new systems adopted by the university
- Perform complex scheduling involving rooms, courses, events and faculty/staff, including appropriate prioritization
- Coordinate personnel matters for both staff and faculty in collaboration with college staff, including preparing forms for recruitment, appointment, and promotion;
- Receive shipments, check for completeness, keep shipping documents, and deliver to appropriate personnel;
- Perform other administrative, secretarial, and support tasks as required.
- Assist with travel arrangements and reconciliation;
- Prepare, administer and summarize faculty student evaluations;
- Coordinate quarterly textbooks requisitions;
- Obtain quarterly faculty office hours;
- Provide faculty with support in other areas as needed.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- List of Professional References
- DD214 Form