Student Success Advisor
Posting DetailsPosting Details Position Title Student Success Advisor Posting Number 2018051EP Position Information Classification Title Student Success Advisor Working Title Student Success Advisor Classification Code 1375 RCW Exemption Criteria 13 - Counseling of Students EWU Position Number E99801 CUPA Code P-401130 - Academic Advisor/Counselor FLSA Non-Exempt Bargaining Unit PSE % Full Time 100 Salary / Wage Range PS - 105 Salary Information
DOE/DOQAnticipated Start Date Term of Appointment 12 Location Cheney, WA County Spokane Project Description Project Duration Background Check Yes - Both Responsible HR User Saundra Godin Responsible HR User Email address [email protected] Posting Text Job Summary
We are currently seeking skilled and team-oriented applicants for the following position: Student Success Advisor
The Student Success Advisor assists students with developing academic plans that are consistent with their life, career, and educational goals. This holistic approach to student development requires the Student Success Advisor to build and sustain ongoing educational relationships with the students that promote persistence, encourage resiliency, and improve academic achievement through caseload management
The Student Success Advisor will consult regularly with CAAR supervisors, university staff, and administration to maintain up-to-date awareness of university programs, information, technologies, and procedures; conduct group presentations/classes; and assist in planning and maintaining overall advising program.
The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays (adjusted accordingly), tuition waiver benefit and more!
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.
- This is an open recruitment; three days’ notice will be provided prior to closure of recruitment.
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university fund or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. Employment will be contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check.
This position is covered by the Public School Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.Physical Demands
Optional: Contact Saundra Godin in Human Resource Services at [email protected] to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis which will describe conditions of employment, such as physical demands.Pre-Placement Physical No Hearing Test No Medical Monitoring Post Hire No Protective Equipment
1. Master’s degree (any field).
2. Two (2) years of experience in academic advising, counseling, social work or related work.
3. Work experience utilizing theory-based practices to facilitate student success inside and outside of the classroom.
4. Demonstrated ability to work in a positive collaborative manner to build partnerships and work effectively as a contributing member of an advising team in a fast-paced, high-stress university/college system.
5. Demonstrated experience using computer technologies such as databases, internet, spreadsheets, tracking systems, and word processing.
6. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and time while under pressure to meet deadlines.
7. Professional experience with programs that provide services to students from underrepresented and/or first generation populations.
8. Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
9. Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.Preferred Qualifications
1. Master’s degree in related field(s) such as adult education, academic advising, social work or counseling.
2. Professional teaching and advising experience of students in a college or university setting which includes a focus on advising, persistence, retention, or student success programs.
3. Fluency in a second language.Other Skills and Abilities Work Schedule Type Regular Work Schedule
8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, some weekends and eveningsPosting Date 09/25/2018 Open Until Further Notice Yes Closing Date Screening to Begin 10/24/2018 Special Instructions to Applicants
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume (these can be identical to the references listed on the application).
3. Complete the online application form and respond to the online questions, if applicable.
DIRECT STUDENT SUPPORT
1. Provide one-to-one advising to low, moderate, and high risk student populations as assigned by the advising leadership team.
2. Assist students with developing their academic plans, consistent with their life, career, and educational goals, while ensuring steady progress towards graduation.
3. Determine student needs, identify types of academic problems/difficulties that individual students are experiencing, and refer them to appropriate services.
4. Build and sustain educational relationships with students in order to facilitate and enhance the student/university connection.
5. Teach student success curriculum and programming through workshops, seminars and classes, which may include instruction in EWU academic policies and procedures, educational planning tools, career decisions, time management, study skills, and decision-making skills.
6. Collaborate with faculty to develop, implement, and deliver First Year Experience curriculum and programming that infuses educational support methods and best practices to assist students in their academic and social preparedness and integration during the early part of their undergraduate careers.
7. Organize and host student success and retention focused events for students as directed by the leadership team.
8. Use technology to identify students in need of intervention and intervene as needed.
9. Access, review, and maintain student records. Maintain privacy and confidentiality of all student information.
10. All other related duties as assigned.Essential Function Indicator Yes Job Duties % of Time 25 Responsibility / Duty
ASSIST IN PLANNING AND MAINTAINING OF OVERALL ADVISING PROGRAM
1. Participate in student advising, persistence, and retention assessment efforts.
2. Collect, analyze, and report data for student populations and retention programs as requested, as part of the accountability system.
3. Review published research to maintain updated knowledge of programs, information, procedures, technologies, and best practices in advising and student retention.
4. Consult regularly and work collaboratively with university staff, and administration to maintain up-to-date awareness of university programs, information, technologies, and procedures.
5. Assist the academic advising leadership in developing procedures and programs as requested.
6. Assist in updating various office materials and presentations.
7. Attend staff and other informational meetings.
8. Provide back-up coverage of the department information desk and other satellite offices as directed by the supervisor.
9. Identify policies and procedures that adversely affect students and propose solutions.
10. All other related duties as assigned.Essential Function Indicator Yes Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- DD214 Form
- Other Document #1
- Other Document #2