Lead Payroll Clerk - Technical Craft Specialist A
Posting DetailsPosition Information Position Title Lead Payroll Clerk - Technical Craft Specialist A Requisition Number SCA00307 General Description
Reporting to the Manager of Payroll, the Technical Craft Specialist A provides leadership and support in the administration of payroll functions for the College’s staff, faculty and student populations. This position responds to employee inquiries regarding payments and deductions, and assists the Manager with the daily operations of the payroll department. Other responsibilities include the accurate preparation, documentation, and distribution of payroll; as well as the processing of federal, state, and local tax payments.
TESTING FOR THIS POSITION:
Data Entry Alpha NumericSpecific Responsibilities
• Compile and reconcile payroll data related to parking deductions, garnishments, vacation time, and 401(k) deductions.
• Prioritize and delegate daily payroll workload to clerical staff to ensure timely processing and adherence to pay schedules.
• Respond to employee inquiries regarding pay and deductions, escalating potential issues and problems to the Manager when necessary.
• Contact various department supervisors for any missed timesheets.
• Review inputted timesheets for accuracy and process weekly transfer of payroll data.
• Review and audit payroll related forms and pay sheets to ensure accuracy before processing.
• Process manual off-cycle check payments.
• Collaborate with the Human Resources and Financial Aid departments to ensure payroll related documents are received within established deadlines.
• Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.).
• Perform various journal entries, account reconciliations, and provide general ledger support.
• Maintain current knowledge of applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
• Assist Payroll manager in the implementation of departmental goals and objectives.
• Participate in internal meetings with various departments, as directed.
• Serve as the lead of Payroll staff in the absence of the Manager.
• Provide training to clerical staff and work study students.
• Deliver quality customer services to both internal and external constituents in a professional helpful and courteous manner.
• Other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
• High School diploma or its equivalent (i.e. GED) required.
• Minimum of two (2) years of related experience within an accounting or payroll function required.
• Strong attention to detail and time management skills required.
• Previous experience using payroll systems and related software required.
• Good communication, problem-solving and interpersonal skills required.
• Ability to work independently and take initiative required.
• Ability to create and implement systems, procedures and processes required.
• Ability to collaborate well with others required.
• Demonstrated customer service orientation required.
• Ability to maintain sensitivity, understanding and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds required.Preferred Qualifications
Associate’s degree in a related field preferred. Any and all degree(s) must be from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
• Previous work experience in a payroll function within higher education preferred.
• Related work experience in a lead capacity preferred.
• Previous experience using Ellucian Banner preferred.
• Experience working in a collective bargaining environment preferred.Work Location Main Campus Benefits Special Instructions to Applicants
TESTING FOR THIS POSITION:
Data Entry/Alpha Numeric
*Interested persons should complete an online application.
*Cover letter of interest and resume REQUIRED.
*Names and contact information of 3 professional references OPTIONAL.
Review of applications will commence on November 20, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.Salary Grade or Rank VIII Salary Range $16.71 - $24.99 Job Posting Open Date 11/06/2018 Job Posting Close Date Type of Position Confidential Job Category Employment Status Full-Time Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about Community College of Philadelphia?
- The Chronicle
- Veterans Job Fair
- Professional & Technology Diversity Career Fair
- AL DIA - Diversity Career Fair
- Community College of Philadelphia Website
- * If your answer to the above question is Other, please note the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- No Response
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- * Do you have a minimum of two (2) years of related experience within an accounting or payroll function?
- * Do you have previous work experience in a payroll function within higher education?
- * Do you have related work experience in a lead capacity?
- * Do you have previous experience using payroll systems and related software?
- * Do you have previous experience using the Banner by Ellucian system?
- * Do you have experience working in a collective bargaining environment?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application