Assistant/Associate Professor, Physical Therapy
Position DetailsPosition Information Position TypeFaculty, Tenure TrackClassification TitleAssistant/Associate ProfessorPosition's Functional TitleAssistant/Associate Professor, Physical TherapyPosition Start Date08/01/2019Position End Date (if temporary)Position Summary
The Department of Physical Therapy at Governors State University invites applications for a full-time, 10 month, tenure-track position as a core faculty member of the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor. The successful candidate will teach graduate courses in the entry-level DPT program and other related areas, as needed. We seek candidates with outstanding teaching skills, an agenda/record of scholarship, a record of community/professional service, effective communication and interpersonal skills with individuals from diverse populations and other professions, and the ability to collaborate and solve complex problems.
Governors State University is the only regional, public, comprehensive university in Chicago’s south suburban area, serving approximately 7,750 students annually. GSU provides accessible, high value undergraduate and graduate education to culturally and economically diverse students. With affordable tuition, GSU offers accredited programs that have earned high praise from national accrediting agencies. Founded in 1969, GSU recently underwent major transition and is now a residential institution, accepting first-year students, transfer and graduate students. New faculty at GSU must demonstrate enthusiasm and ability to work with students at all levels, from first-year to graduate.
Through its Vision 2020 Strategic Plan, GSU emphasizes excellence, student success, social, ethical, and environmental responsibility. Students benefit from the university’s high academic quality, range of convenient class times, increasing hybrid and online offerings, and outstanding educational value. GSU seeks to become a national leader in successful transfer of community college students to universities, and is leading through the Kresge-supported Dual Degree Program, with features such as tuition lock-in at GSU for academically eligible community college students who commit to earn an Associate Degree and attend college full-time. GSU offers five doctoral degrees in clinical/practice areas of health, counseling, and education.
The exceptionally beautiful campus is conveniently located within easy reach by road and rail to Chicago and surrounding communities that have a wealth of cultural and natural attractions.Minimum Qualifications
1. Terminal academic degree (PhD, EdD, DSc, DHSc) or equivalent degree in an area related to physical therapy from an institution recognized by the USDE as being regionally accredited. Individuals in the final stages of completion of doctoral degree will be considered.
2. At least three years of clinical experience as a physical therapist.
3. Current physical therapist license in Illinois or eligible for licensure as a physical therapist in Illinois.
4. Effective communication and interpersonal skills with individuals from diverse populations and other professions.
5. Commitment to student learning and success.
5. Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others to solve complex problems.Preferred Qualifications
1. Teaching and/or professional experience in multiple areas.
2. Specialist certification through the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties.
2. Prior experience with online teaching/learning.Posting Date08/15/2018Closing DateOpen Until FilledYesPosting NumberFA0223PType of SearchExternalQuicklink for Postinghttp://employment.govst.edu/postings/3733Employee IDDepartmentPlaceholderSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a current ABPTS certification?
- * Do you have at least 3 years' clinical experience as a physical therapist?
- * Do you have a current Illinois Physical Therapist license or are you license eligible in Illinois?
- Yes, I have a current Illinois Physical Therapist license
- Yes, I am eligible for an Illinois Physical Therapist license
- No, I do not possess and I am not eligible for an Illinois Physical Therapist license
- * Do you have an earned academic doctorate degree (PhD, EdD, DSc, DHSc) or equivalent?
- No, but I am in the final stages of earning an academic doctorate degree such as PhD, EdD, DSc, DHSc or equivalent
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation
- Teaching Philosophy
- Certification/Professional License
- List of References