Physician (Physician - Primary Care, 10/12 pay plan), Student Health Services
Job Title: Physician (Physician - Primary Care, 10/12 pay plan), Student Health Services
Location: San Diego Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 6690
San Diego State University is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of historically underrepresented groups.
Initial review of applications will begin on August 13, 2018. To receive full consideration, apply by August 12, 2018. The position will remain open until filled. The online application should be completed in detail. Completion of the online application is required for consideration; a resume alone will not suffice.
For more information on San Diego State University, please click here.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;Position Information
This is for two (2) full-time (1.0 time-base), benefits eligible, permanent (probationary) positions. These positions are designated exempt under FLSA and are not eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday – Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 5:15 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs. Incumbent works 10 months per year and is paid over 12 months. Anticipated month(s) off will be June and July.
These positions, under supervision of the Medical Director, will be responsible for the provision of efficient, cost-effective medical care to SDSU student-patients. The physician is a licensed, highly skilled health care practitioner who provides a wide range of primary health care services within a student health center including assessment and management of acute, episodic and chronic diseases as well as performing preventive and health maintenance services. The incumbent may receive work direction from a Lead Physician and will work collaboratively with the Lead Physician, other physicians, nurse practitioners, and other staff consisting of registered nurses, licensed vocational nurses, medical assistants, and clinical assistants. The physician will utilize a variety of SHS ancillary services including radiology, laboratory, and pharmacy, as well as our in-house Dental, Eye and Orthopedic Clinics. They will also be called upon to consult on intercollegiate student-athletes referred by the Athletic Medicine physicians or certified athletic trainers. Incumbent’s work incorporates established standardized procedures and/or process protocols developed by the SHS staff and managers, and they accept direction and change in both assignment and work hours as required by the needs of the facility.
For more information regarding Student Health Services, please click here.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary upon appointment not expected to exceed $10,225 per month. CSU Classification Salary Range: $10,225 - $17,713 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$2','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$2');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;Qualifications
Graduation from a medical school and completion of a residency training program in a primary care field such as family medicine, general internal medicine, gynecology, general pediatrics, emergency medicine, preventive medicine accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or equivalent.
- A valid State of California license to practice medicine.
- Current American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA) board certification appropriate for the assigned duties. See note below.
- A valid Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) registration and number for prescribing controlled substances.
- Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automated external defibrillator (CPR/AED) certification.
- Note: In accordance with Executive Order 943, board certification is required for all physicians hired after September 1, 1988. A physician can be given clinical privileges pending initial certification, but must be board certified as soon as possible, but no later than two years after the date of hire. If a physician loses certification thereafter, then the physician may be allowed to continue to provide health care for up to one year while recertification is obtained. If the physician is not recertified within the one-year grace period, then the physician's clinical privileges in the Student Health Center may be suspended immediately.
Preferred Qualifications and Specialized Skills
- Knowledge and skills in the initial management of mental health problems and the ability to longitudinally manage mild to moderate anxiety and unipolar depression.
- Knowledge and skills of health promotion and ability to refer to community resource specialist for campus or external resources when appropriate
- Computer skills competency, including word processing, email, and electronic medical records documentation.
- Training and experience viewing and interpreting digital x-rays images.
- Training and experience interpreting electrocardiograms and spirometry reports.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage a challenging workload, being flexible and accepting of same day changes made in the student-patient scheduling, while maintaining positive and respectful relationships with colleagues and students.
- One or more years of post-residency experience in a primary care clinic or practice, preferably in a college health service or with adolescent or young adult age groups.
- Training and experience managing student-patients with concussion.
- Training and experience performing minor surgical procedures such as punch biopsy, incision and drainage of abscesses, partial toenail avulsion and laceration repair.
- Training and experience using a slit-lamp as part of a thorough eye exam.
- Training and experience inserting and removing long-acting reversible contraceptive devices and managing related student-patient care issues.
- Experience prescribing HIV PrEP and PEP.
- Experience prescribing gender-affirming therapy.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button. If you need assistance completing your application, please click here.
Applicants with disabilities requiring assistance may call (619) 594-7099.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke free campus. For more information, please click here.
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$4','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$4');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;