Program Counselor (Student Services Professional IB), Counseling and Psychological Services
Job Title: Program Counselor (Student Services Professional IB), Counseling and Psychological Services
Location: San Diego Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 6302
San Diego State University is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of historically underrepresented groups.
Review of applications will be ongoing. The online application should be completed in detail. Completion of the online application is required for consideration; a resume alone will not suffice.
For more information on San Diego State University, please click here.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;Position Information
This recruitment will be used to establish a pool of candidates for current and future hourly intermittent, temporary appointments. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Work schedule to be arranged.
This position is intended to provide the incumbent with enhanced training and supervision in short-term interventions with students in a university counseling center, with a specific focus in one or more of the following areas:
1) Short-term stepped care for alcohol prevention/intervention
The duties and responsibilities required of this Student Affairs professional will be commensurate with those expected of a pre and/or post-doctoral intern in a university counseling center. It is expected that an incumbent would occupy this position for one to two years while acquiring proficiency in the approach used in the program assigned.
For more information regarding Counseling and Psychological Services, please click here.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary upon appointment not expected to exceed $23.55 per hour. CSU Classification Salary Range: $21.26 - $30.08 per hour. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$2','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$2');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;Qualifications
Experience: Possession of this knowledge and these abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of one year of experience in professional Student Services work at the entry trainee level. Equivalent amounts of graduate level job¿related education may be substituted for the required experience.
Education: Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration, or a job¿related field. Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year¿for¿year basis.
Preferred Qualifications and Specialized Skills
- Education, training and experience in one-on-one counseling with short-term therapy approaches is required.
- Candidate must have a demonstrable respect for diversity and an ability to effectively work from a cross-cultural perspective with people from a wide range of backgrounds and value systems.
- Knowledge of the complex legal and ethical issues that relate to counseling/clinical work including a working knowledge of statutes and codes regarding a counselors “duty to warn,” child/elder abuse reporting, confidentiality and involuntary confinement procedures.
- Position may prefer one or more of the following:training in Motivational Interviewing to address substance abuse issues.
- Experience with cross-cultural counseling approaches with ethnically and culturally diverse clients and communities; crisis intervention and trauma response debriefing capabilities; clinical skills and experience with short-term therapy approaches.
- Ability to furnish, individually and in small groups, responsible and responsive professional opinions to other staff about a variety of complex cases.
- Ability to establish effective working collaborations between individuals and groups representing different cultures, interest groups and/or departments.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button. If you need assistance completing your application, please click here.
Applicants with disabilities requiring assistance may call (619) 594-7099.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke free campus. For more information, please click here.
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.cms.sdsu.edu/psp/HSDPRDF_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$4','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$4');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;