Lab Safety Assistant
Lab Safety Assistant
Scientific Lab Assistant
Mechanical & Energy Engineer - 130340
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday between the hours of 8 am-5 pm, some evenings and weekends
The Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering offers Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral level education leading to the appropriate degrees in Mechanical and Energy Engineering.
We are committed to innovation and excellence in teaching, research, and service. We achieve this vision by recruiting high caliber faculty and students, and by continually improving our curriculum and teaching methods.
The department facilitates a collegial atmosphere that is conducive to intellectual and scholarly pursuits of faculty and students.
The Mechanical & Energy Engineering Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Scientific Lab Assistant to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Responsible for safety instructions to students who will be working in the labs.
* Will help train students in safety protocol and equipment operations.
* Responsible for setting up experimental stations for instructional and research labs including both instruments, equipment and their manuals and instructions in working conditions.
* Prepare and supervise demonstrations and conduct more complex tests and experiments for demonstration purposes.
* Help design and coordinate machine and equipment operations to demonstrate the outcomes of complex testing.
* Coordinates repairs with departmental instrument and equipment repair staff or vendors.
* Enforce rules and regulations to ensure full and safe utilization of lab equipment.
* Maintains security of assigned areas including limiting access, preventing damage, theft and minimizing risk related to hazardous equipment and chemicals.
* This position coordinates the attendance of labs by students and workers to ensure that only those authorized to participate during the designated instructional periods are in attendance.
* Will assist faculty and students in the planning and design of research or instructional activities and programs. This position must maintain operational, electrical and chemical knowledge of the labs.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The preferred candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and one year of related scientific or laboratory experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* General understanding of and competence in the field of science related to position.
* Knowledge of special equipment used in teaching laboratories and/or test instruments, repair equipment, tools and parts in use in the electronics field.
* Ability to teach and/or supervise others through demonstration and verbal communication.
* Knowledge of scientific techniques, methods and procedures.
* Ability to locate and replace defective parts and troubleshoot technical equipment.
* Ability to prepare accurate assays or perform arithmetical computations and maintain detailed records.
* Skill in conducting tests and measurements.
* Skill in observation and analysis.
* Physical dexterity, agility, and strength sufficient to perform work involving standing, lifting of equipment, and assembling and using of equipment.
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting