Assistant or Associate Professor, Legal Studies
Job VacancyPosition Information Functional Title Assistant or Associate Professor, Legal Studies Position Details Job Description Summary
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning, and Community and Civic Engagement.
>>>If you’re passionate about these values, join us at University of La Verne!
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of La Verne invites applications for a full-time, ten-month tenure-track appointment at the assistant or associate professor rank in the Department of Legal Studies to begin Fall 2019. The Legal Studies Department houses an American Bar Association approved Paralegal Program and an American Law minor. The program is dedicated to providing solid and well-balanced instruction in substantive law and practical legal skills in a liberal arts context to a diverse student body. The teaching load is a 3:3.Specific Duties
- The successful candidate will teach a variety of paralegal courses, including Legal Research and Writing, Litigation, Contracts, and other electives in the field of the person’s expertise.
- Other duties include relevant academic research and professional development, assisting with the American Bar Association’s approval process, participating in university committees, attending university and department meetings, advising students, developing internships, advertising and recruiting, and contacting other educational institutions regarding articulation agreements.
- The person selected should participate in local bar and paralegal associations.
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited or California State Bar approved law school and an active membership in the California State Bar; or a Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education and three years of experience as a paralegal.
- Evidence of successful teaching experience is required. The applicant must have worked as a paralegal educator and demonstrate an ability to be successful in a tenure-track faculty position.
- The ideal candidate will be a practicing attorney or paralegal, having significant experience in litigation, legal aid or self-help clinics and a passion for sharing their experiences to help create successful paralegals and law school students.
- Appreciation for and experience working with diverse populations and an ability to connect one-on-one with students
- Outstanding listening skills combined with the ability to understand the needs of others, as well as demonstrate flexibility, a high work ethic and integrity.
- Committed to teaching paralegal and pre-law students and show a willingness to employ a variety of teaching methods beyond the lecture, including experiential projects and online teaching.
- Demonstrated scholarly interest in an area that inspires them and informs their teaching that will translate to publications, presentations at conferences, and professional activities
Salary will be commensurate with experience and internal equity. Benefits include a comprehensive health and wellness plan, tuition remission program for employee, spouse, and dependent children, a generous 10% contribution to the University’s 403B retirement plan, and a generous time off plan.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of a background check and employment verification.
U.S. News & World Report rates La Verne Online No. 1 in California for the third consecutive year and 24th best in the country. Washington Monthly’s 2016 “America’s Best Colleges for Adult Learners” rankings place La Verne No. 3 among private, 4-year institutions in California.
La Verne is Tier 1 in U.S. News 2017 “America’s Best Colleges” National University rankings for the seventh straight year, and again made Forbes “America’s Top Colleges” rating (WASC Accredited).
Position is pending budgetary approval. Priority review will begin October 15 and continue until position is filled. Applications should include a cover letter, statement of teaching and evidence working with paralegals, law school and/or graduate transcripts, and the names, contact emails and phone numbers of three professional references.Open Date 08/27/2018 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Referred by University of La Verne Employee
- University of La Verne Website
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy
- Graduate School Transcripts
- List of 3-5 Professional References
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Samples of Published Research
- Teaching Evaluations
- Peer-reviewed publication