Manager of Registrar Technology Services
Job Vacancy AnnouncementPosition Information Functional Title Manager of Registrar Technology Services Position Type Administrative/Professional Appointment Type Regular FTE %
100Work Schedule (if atypical) Job Description Summary
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning and Community and Civic Engagement.
>>>If you’re passionate about these values, join us at University of La Verne!
The Manager of Registrar Technology Services is a member of the Office of the Registrar management team, providing leadership and strategic vision for the use of technology in the Office of the Registrar. In consultation with the Registrar, Assistant Registrar of Curriculum and Systems, and Associate Registrar this position has oversight of the University Student Data Base. This is inclusive of the Banner tables, forms, and Degree Works SureCode. This includes maintaining all documentation and testing of upgrades and implementation of new applications.
This position is responsible for conducting business research on behalf of the Office of the Registrar, and represent the office at external conferences and events as well as participate in on-campus committees regarding any of the technology applications utilized by the university community. Provide leadership and be a power user of Banner, Degree Works, National Student Clearinghouse, and S24/R25 applications. This position is responsible for making decision regarding the maintenance and creation of end-user guidelines for technology currently used in the department. To make recommendations and creating implementation plans for the incorporation of new technology and ensure data security. Must be able to create adhoc Microsoft Access and COGNOS reports at the request of the Office of the Registrar Management Team, Academic Retention Services, or the Office of the Provost. Create and run on a regular basis reports to identify degree integrity issues. The monitoring and the data clean-up is a critical component of this job as the university moves to producing analytics and predictive reports.Specific Duties
- Provide leadership and vision for the potential uses of technology within the Office of the Registrar. This person is the expert resource for all technological functions within the department and how those functions impact university wide systems.
- Research and develop new approaches to technical processes in the Office of the Registrar with the goal of creating more efficiency and improving the level of data integrity and service for the University community.
- Make recommendation and develop implementation plans for the automation of Registrar processes as dictated by the research.
- Research and make recommendations on the use of Banner Student and other related software applications for the Office of the Registrar.
- Represent the Office of the Registrar at technology conferences and other external networking and research opportunities
- Work with OIT to develop customized forms in Banner and additional workflows.
- Write and update documentation to support the technical processes in Banner including BDMS (Banner Document Management System)
- Oversee Banner General and Banner Student upgrades along with Degree Works. Provide the structure to test all processes for all upgrades and be able to provide written verification of testing.
- Maintain critical tables and forms in Banner and Degree Works. This includes development and updating of all documentation.
- Maintain the Gainful Employment Banner form to ensure currency with catalog changes and financial aid compliance.
- Oversee the submission of data to the National Student Clearinghouse is correct and timely. This is inclusive of periodic review and update of the script written to extract data from Banner for NSC.
- Will back up the Technical Specialists for Enrollment Verifications to submit NSC data in the case he/she is unable to submit the data in a timely manner.
- Develop and monitor data integrity standards for all student related data. This includes writing reports and documentation.
- Develop data integrity, quality assurance and productivity reports that can be used to improve business practices within the Office of the Registrar.
- Work with OIT to ensure all data pulled for the data warehouse is up to date and accurate.
- Identifies and problem solves how erroneous data is being created.
- Assist the Assistant Registrar for Curriculum and Sytems, Associate Registrar, and the Technical Assistant for Enrollment to train those who have responsibility to update student data.
- Assist with data clean-up when necessary.
- Work with the Office of Institutional Research, Provost, Dean and others to define data elements and the are being used/defined to ensure consistency. Usage of a data dictionary will be critical.
- Write reports at the request of university officials for non-aggregated student information, including ad hoc reporting. Be able to write reports using populations selections, Cognos, Microsoft Access.
- Work with the Registrar’s Office Management team to coordinate the production of reports as needed for commencement and other events.
- Collaborate with the Office of Student Accounts on the production and mailing of the 1098-T tax forms.
- Work with the Office of the Registrar Management Team to create interactive on-line forms that will be utilized by faculty and students.
Supervision and Training
- Training Registrar Staff on correct usage of technology inclusive of the Microsoft Word Suite.
- Oversee procedures development for the use of Banner and other software applications within the department. This is inclusive of a training manual on general set-up and usage of an application.
- Provide exemplary customer service to the University community.
- As member of the management team, the incumbent also contributes to all commencement events and activities related to operational activities.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Registrar, Associate Registrar, or Assistant Registrar of Curriculum and Systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 years of progressive experience of increased technology responsibilities
- 3 years experience working with large databases
- 3 years experience interpreting policy and/or procedures
- 2 years progressive supervision or management experience.
- Experience with Cognos or another reporting tool
- Knowledge of SQL
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience using Microsoft software, including Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Previous experience with Banner Student Information System
- Previous experience with Schedule/Resource 25
- Previous higher education experience
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent customer service skills
The hiring range for this position is dependent upon qualifications and departmental equity. Benefits of employment include a comprehensive health and welfare plan, tuition remission program for employee, spouse and dependent children and a generous 10% contribution to the University’s 403B retirement plan.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of a background check and employment verification.
U.S. News & World Report rates La Verne Online No. 1 in California for the third consecutive year and 24th best in the country. Washington Monthly’s 2016 “America’s Best Colleges for Adult Learners” rankings place La Verne No. 3 among private, 4-year institutions in California.
La Verne is Tier 1 in U.S. News 2017 “America’s Best Colleges” National University rankings for the seventh straight year, and again made Forbes “America’s Top Colleges” rating (WASC Accredited).
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Referred by University of La Verne Employee
- University of La Verne Website
- How many years of working in Higher Education do you have?
- Less than one year
- 1-2 years
- 3-4 years
- 5-6 years
- 7 or more years
- How many years of supervisory or management experience do you have?
- less than one year
- 1-2 years
- 3-4 years
- 5-6 years
- 7 or more years
- * Do you have experience writing Cognos and/or Access reports?
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2