Assistant Professor in Exercise Science
Posting DetailsPosition Information Business Title Assistant Professor in Exercise Science Position Number Home Department School of Health & Human Performance Employment Type Tenure Track Faculty Full-Time/Part-Time Full-Time Appointment Faculty (10-month) Time Limited? No Time-Limited Appointment Length Not Applicable Work Schedule
40 hour work week; Monday-Friday. Some evening and weekends may be expected depending on course schedule.Work Hours per week 40 Travel Required? N Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The School of Health & Human Performance (SHHP) is housed in the College of Health Sciences. SHHP has two BS programs: Exercise Science and Public Health. Exercise Science is one of the largest undergraduate majors at Georgia College. SHHP also has three master’s programs: MS in Health & Human Performance; a MS in Athletic Training (MSAT); and a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Kinesiology/Physical Education.Primary Purpose of Position
The primary purpose of this position will be to teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses in one or more of the following: exercise prescription, nutrition (e.g. exercise nutrition, nutrition science, holistic nutrition, etc.), clinical exercise physiology, applied research in exercise science, and possibly others in area of expertise.
Instructional opportunities exist for the position at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Expectations of quality teaching, scholarly inquiry, and active involvement in professional development and service are expected in Exercise Science or highly related disciplines. The position will afford the faculty member a unique opportunity to actively engage in research and community service-learning experiences collaboratively with both undergraduate and graduate students.Key Functions and Related Job Duties Key Function Faculty - Teaching/Instructing Job duties performed for the above function
– full-time instructional load teaching (12 credit hours per semester) in areas of expertise within the Exercise Science related degree programs (BS Exercise Science and MS Human Performance Concentration).
– Serve as mentor for students as well as be actively engaged in designing and facilitating student learning activities within the local community and the Georgia College community.
- Demonstrate expertise in conducting scholarly inquiry and dissemination of such inquiry through peer review journals, edited books/chapters and peer reviewed presentation at conferences, etc.
-Establish a record of professional involvement through service to the institution, profession, and/or communities.
This faculty member will also contribute to the Georgia College core curriculum by teaching topical freshman (GC1Y) or sophomore seminar (GC2Y) courses.All Georgia College faculty share the responsibility of teaching our core curriculum and providing foundation courses for majors and non‐majors alike. To carry out our public liberal arts mission, we seek faculty with the desire and ability to engage students as they launch their intellectual journey.Key Functions and Related Job Duties Key Function Faculty - Professional Development Job duties performed for the above function
Academic Achievement/Professional Development
– Publications (editing, citations)
– Presentations at professional meetings
– Current work in circulation or in progress
– Grants received or applied for
– Membership and participation in professional organizations
– Other professional service of development activities
Service to the Institution
– Committee memberships and offices
– Programs directed and advised
– Participation in special programs or projects
– Other service in the institution
We seek candidates who can contribute to The School of Health and Human Performance educational mission. Successful candidates will be expected to instruct our students in the Exercise Science and Human Performance disciplines at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
In keeping with the University’s mission we especially encourage applicants who will further our goal of cultural, ethnic, racial, and gender diversity. In addition, all faculty may be responsible for contributing to the university core curriculum.Equal Opportunity Statement
Georgia College is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee and strives to create a campus environment which understands, fosters, and embraces the value of diversity. No person shall, on the grounds of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information, be excluded from employment or participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination, under any program or activity conducted by Georgia College.Minimum Requirements Proposed Minimum Experience/Education
1. Doctoral degree in Exercise Science/Physiology, Human Performance/Kinesiology or related field.
2. Familiarity with online synchronous and asynchronous instruction.
3. Evidence of methodological innovation and creative teaching strategies is highly desirable.
4. 18 or more graduate semester credit hours completed in coursework related to exercise science/physiology, exercise nutrition, and/or human performance.Department Required Skills
Successful candidates are expected to have:
1. An understanding of the principles associated with teaching and learning.
2. Ability to work collegially and effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds.List any other requirements
Proficiency in Microsoft Office or Apple based software (i.e. WORD, EXCEL, PPT, etc.) necessary for instructional preparation, scholarly writing, etc. Proficiency in the use of statistical analysis software, i.e. SPSS, SAS, etc. to facilitate scholarship activities.Other Job Requirements
Describe other job related requirements necessary to effectively perform the job's key functions such as license/certifications, required trainings, etc. Click here for requirement examples listed by occupation titles.Select Type None Description of Requirement Preferences Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education
1. strong communication skills.
2. successful higher education teaching experience.
3. undergraduate or master’s degree in nutrition/nutrition sciences or a graduate certificate in nutrition/nutrition sciences/holistic nutrition, etc.Posting Detail Information Posting Number F0206 Desired Start Date 08/01/2019 Position End Date (if temporary) Open Date 08/13/2018 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions Summary Reference Letters Reference Letters Accept References No Minimum Requests Last Day a Reference Provider Can Submit Reference Applicant Special Instructions Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you successfully completed 18 graduate level semester hours in the teaching discipline described in this posting?
- * Do you have higher education teaching experience?
- Yes, 1 - 2 years higher education teaching experience
- Yes, 3 - 5 years higher education teaching experience
- Yes, 5 or more years higher education teaching experience
- No, I do not have higher education teaching experience
- * Please indicate the highest level of education you have obtained
- ABD (all but dissertation)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of 3 References and Contact Information
- Teaching Philosophy
- Unofficial Transcripts