Assistant Professor of Special Education
Posting DetailsPosition Information Business Title Assistant Professor of Special Education Position Number Home Department Teacher Education Employment Type Tenure Track Faculty Full-Time/Part-Time Full-Time Appointment Faculty (10-month) Time Limited? No Time-Limited Appointment Length Not Applicable Work Schedule
40 hour work week; Monday – Friday; some evenings and weekends may be required for special events.Work Hours per week 40 Travel Required? N Primary Function of Organizational Unit
To support the University’s Mission: As Georgia’s public liberal arts university, Georgia College offers undergraduate programs of study to talented and motivated students in a residential college setting. Georgia College also provides, at multiple locations, graduate and professional studies that support the needs of the region and create pathways to individual success and personal fulfillment. Its academically engaging, student-centered programs often take learning beyond the traditional classroom and develop the intellectual, professional, and civic skills and dispositions that enable graduates to thrive in an information-intensive and diverse global society. Through its teaching, research, and service, Georgia College enriches the lives of students and their local and global communities.
The Department of Teaching Education has multiple program areas to include Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Middle Grades Education, and Secondary Education.Primary Purpose of Position
This position will support undergraduate and graduate teacher education candidates as well as teachers seeking Special Education certification and Special Education professionals seeking advanced knowledge and skills.Key Functions and Related Job Duties Key Function Faculty - Teaching/Instructing Job duties performed for the above function
In addition to teaching undergraduate and graduate level (M.Ed., Ed.S, Ed.D) courses in Special Education, faculty members
- mentor students,
- supervise field experiences,
- contribute to the core curriculum and program curriculum, and
– teach core courses including but not limited to GC1Y and GC2Y.
Georgia College seeks faculty and administrators who understand and embrace our public liberal arts mission and are dedicated to the advancement of knowledge through teaching, scholarship and service. All Georgia College faculty share the responsibility of teaching our core curriculum and providing foundation courses for majors and non‐majors alike. To carry out our public liberal arts mission, we seek faculty with the desire and ability to engage students as they launch their intellectual journey.Key Functions and Related Job Duties Key Function Faculty - Scholarship and Creative Activity Job duties performed for the above function
Faculty are expected to engage in scholarly activities, including conducting research. The following represents some research and scholarly activity possibilities:
– Publications in refereed journals
– Presentations at professional meetings
– Grant applications
– Conducting professional development for partnering school districts
Faculty are expected to provide service to the program, department, university, profession, and community.
Public Service is often a part of the service expectations and might include activities, such as the following
– Consulting work
– Service to the profession and professional organizations
– Membership and participation in community organizations
– Other significant services to the community
Service to the Institution is vital for meeting the mission and vision. Service to the Institution include, but is not limited to
- Committee memberships and offices
- Programs directed and advised
- Participation in special programs or projects
- Assisting with accreditation reports
- Other service in the institution
Other duties as assigned by the Program Coordinator, Chair, Associate Dean, or Dean.Equal Opportunity Statement
Georgia College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without consideration to age, color, disability, gender, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Minimum Requirements Proposed Minimum Experience/Education
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Special Education or related field
- Minimum three years of successful teaching in P-12 Special Education classrooms
- Minimum of 18-graduate semester hours or the equivalent in the academic discipline being taught.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Commitment of advancing the Mission, Vision, and Conceptual Framework of the JHL College of Education
ABD’s will be considered, only if terminal degree is completed by August 1, 2019
Primary consideration given to applications received by January 25th.
Georgia College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity institution committed to cultural, racial, and ethnic communities. We promote equal employment opportunities regardless of race, religion, color, gender, marital status, genetic information, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. It is expected that successful candidates share these commitments.Department Required Skills
Collaborative researcherList any other requirements
- Knowledge or willingness to learn technology platforms for learning and assessment, i.e. Livetext and GeorgiaView
- Knowledge or willingness to learn requirements of edTPA
- Experience in administering and/or interpreting standardized assessments, curriculum-based measurements, and other formative assessments
- Experience with online instruction
- Experience with EdTPA, LiveText, and/or GeorgiaView (D2L)
- Higher Education experience
- Experience in college-based outreach to local school systems
- Hiring preference will be given to faculty who demonstrate an understanding of Georgia College’s mission and who are enthusiastic about working closely with high-achieving students within an academic community, dedicated to the advancement of knowledge through learning and scholarship.
- Evidence of methodological innovation and creative teaching strategies.
- Experience with educational assessment
- Experience with quantitative research methods
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have experience in district-level administration of PBIS?
- * Do you have experience in P-12 teaching and administrative experience in the field of Special Education?
- * Do you have higher education teaching experience?
- Yes, 1 - 2 years higher education teaching experience
- Yes, 3 - 5 years higher education teaching experience
- Yes, 5 or more years higher education teaching experience
- No, I do not have higher education teaching experience
- * Have you successfully completed 18 graduate level semester hours in the teaching discipline described in this posting?
- * Please indicate the highest level of education you have obtained
- ABD (all but dissertation)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
- List of 3 References and Contact Information