Part-time Academic Advisor
Department:: Admissions & Advising Department
Locations:: Columbia, MD
Posted:: Oct 31, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: PT - No Benefits
About Howard Community College:
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
- Provides pre-enrollment advising to prospective students, including placement test interpretations and assistance with enrollment procedures.
- Provides academic advising to currently enrolled students regarding program planning, course scheduling, graduation clearance, and transfer policies.
- Assists students with developing an academic plan which leads to degree completion while meeting transfer goals.
- Provides comprehensive academic advising to developmental students and those students placed on academic warning and probation.
- Provides comprehensive transfer advising to students seeking transfer to competitive and limited enrollment programs.
- Supports a variety of office events including transfer fairs, campus visits and information sessions..
- Interprets college policies and procedures for students, faculty, and staff.
This position is crucial to student success, requires considerable knowledge and expertise, including thorough knowledge of academic programs and policies, college services, state transfer and general education policies, transcript evaluation and articulation, and mastery of the admissions, advising, tracking, and degree audit components of the student system.
- Bachelor's degree in education, social science, student development with three years of related experience required. Masters degree preferred.
- Prior teaching, advising, or counseling experience required, including experience with special populations.
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations related to advising, transfer, and general education strongly preferred.
- Excellent oral (including public speaking), writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills required.
- Knowledge of student and communications management systems. Other computer literacy required; experience with Windows, MS Office, student system software, digital imaging software, ARTSYS, and other software applications strongly preferred.
- Experience working with various college departments preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and manage multiple priorities while providing excellent customer service.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Hours Per Week: 12 - 25
- Work Schedule: Flexible including a minimum of one evening per week
- Compensation: $27.92 per hour
- Grade: Hourly/temporary, no benefits
- FLSA Status: Not exempt from overtime
- Best Consideration, Submit By: 11/14
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100. The TDD line phone # is: 443-518-4822.
1. Cover letter