Assistant Softball Coach
Job Title: Assistant Softball Coach
Location: GRCC Main Campus
Job ID: 749
Date: October 25, 2016
Essential Job Functions
- Help direct and coordinate the activities of the softball program in the planning, organizing and coaching of the Grand Rapids Community College Softball team.
- Perform all assigned coaching duties
- Promote the softball program and support the College’s athletic program.
- Aid in the coordination of and ensure compliance with College, conference, and NJCAA policies and regulations.
- Support the academic, athletic, and personal development of student athletes at Grand Rapids Community College.
- Aid in the monitoring of academic progress of student athletes.
- Follow up on prospective student athlete inquiries with assistance from the Admissions office.
- Assign and secure athletic equipment when appropriate.
- Aid the Head Coach in preparation of game plans and strategy for intercollegiate competition.
- Follow all Grand Rapids Community College and Athletic Department policies and procedures.
- Report any ethical violations or concerns you may become aware of, either from or regarding students or employees.
- Communicate and follow-up with the Athletic Director on team matters requiring approval and input.
- Report any injuries of participants to proper school officials, filing proper injury report forms and accurate team rosters.
- Must be physically present during the entire period of practice. At no time may a coach leave the practice area and place responsibility for a team on a student. The coach is responsible for his/her team in the locker room, as well as on the practice and playing field.
- Associate’s degree preferred.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred.
- Some college softball playing experience preferred but not required
- Experience with fundraising preferred.
Physical and Mental Demands
- Ability to coach and manage college student athletes.
- Able to communicate verbally, non-verbally, and in written form with or without accommodations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Understanding and working knowledge of NJCAA policies and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to engage students with disabilities in exploring assistive technologies.
- Understanding of confidentiality as related to professional Code of Ethics and FERPA guidelines.
- Understanding of the mission of community colleges.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, coaches in the department, staff, and general public.
- Ability to travel to various locations of softball events and competitions.
Method of ApplicationGrand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs Please include your resume and cover letter in one document, along with three letters of reference, which you may upload or have your supporters attach to an email to [email protected] Posting is open until filled. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities,services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics.The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation.