Food Service Worker IV, Redwood City Campus
Food Service Worker IV - Lead Catering Cook - Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries - Redwood City Campus
Job Number: 81585
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES: Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world. Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. R&DE comprises 800+ staff in the following divisions: Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of four R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration including Information Technology, Human Resources, Strategic Communications, and Maintenance Operations & Capital Projects. R&DE houses 13,000+ students and their dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests.
ABOUT STANFORD HOSPITALITY & AUXILIARIES: Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, a division within R&DE at Stanford University is committed to excellence and the highest level of customer service. It is recognized nationally for operating at “the cutting edge” of the industry receiving exceptional service ratings and numerous awards, including the Restaurant & Institutions Magazine Ivy Award for excellence in food service and hospitality. The Ivy Award is one of the industry's most prestigious and coveted awards, given to those operations that meet the highest standards of food, hospitality and service. With R&DE's vision “to be the best in the business” Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries is a Certified Green Business practicing sustainability in its purchasing and using equipment and processes that reduce solid waste and preserve natural resources. The highest Acterra Sustainability Award was received in 2006, in recognition of these initiatives. In early 2019, Stanford will be opening its Redwood City campus, the university's largest expansion to the original campus, which will house around 2,400 staff. Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries will be opening the Cardinal Cafe and catering services on this new campus, and is looking for outstanding hospitality staff to help in this exciting new venture. The Cardinal Cafe will be open to staff and the public, and will offer a variety of healthy and delicious breakfast and lunch options that include a beverage bar serving hand-made coffee, hot breakfast grill, Global Bowl bar, bountiful salad bar, a tasty vegan and vegetarian range, grass-fed beef burgers, flatbread pizzas, and a Market stocked with grab-and-go items. The Redwood City campus will also run a catering program, executing to the same exceptional standards offered at the main campus. I. Summary of Position This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced cook with baking expertise who wants to help shape the culinary experience of those working at and near the Redwood City campus. With a focus on catering, the FSW IV lead cook will work with the Executive Chef to execute the catering menu on a daily basis. The position will take the lead on catering (helping to expedite catering menus) and bakery production, and serve as a backup for retail as needed. They'll be comfortable producing various types of creative food items, working from standardized recipes and general instructions, and will use independent judgment in the course of meal preparation. Lead Cooks are also responsible for the correct portioning, seasoning and timing of menu items. The Lead Cook will talk with customers about seasonal ingredients and menu options; customer interaction is vital to the role. The Lead Cook will also be comfortable coaching and mentoring in the kitchen, to maintain smooth and successful operations and a creative, positive environment. Lead Cooks will direct Cooks' Helpers (Food Service Worker III) in the preparation of food and work together with other Cooks in the preparation of meals. II. Essential Job Functions
- Work with Executive Chef to understand and prepare new menu items
- Prepares a variety of hot and cold creative catering meals and pastry items, including salads, dressings, cold platters, hors d'oeuvres, seafood, poultry, desserts
- Have a broad knowledge of different flavors and cooking methods
- Be inspired by well sourced ingredients
- Be able to explain these ingredients to the customer
- Strong knife skills
- Be able to coach and mentor other kitchen staff
- Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served in conjunction with the chef
- Store and record leftovers
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, saute burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment
- Prepare items for broiling, grilling, frying, sauteing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating
- Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed
- Transmit work instructions and specifications received from supervisor to other workers.
- Assist executive chef or supervisors or other employees to solve task-related problems
- Order supplies from storeroom as needed
- Ensure that sanitation standards are maintained. Clean and assembles equipment after each use
- Other duties as assigned with classification
- Required to abide by all health codes mandated by the health department
- Must adhere to department policies & procedures.
- High school diploma and a minimum of 3 years experience in commercial kitchen preparation and cooking, with an understanding of proper food handling and safety, knowledge of safety and sanitation standards, and culinary fundamentals (i.e. knife skills, HACCP, methods of cooking, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as a cooperative team member
- Must be service-oriented, courteous and professional
- Knowledge of proper use & care of cafe and catering service equipment
- Ability to interact effectively with customers and co-workers
- Demonstrates helpfulness, and respectfulness, is approachable and team oriented, builds strong working relationships, diplomatic, and a positive work environment, is responsible, honest, resolves conflicts appropriately, and is flexible
- Demonstrate customer service skills with a smile
- Must adhere to the department policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to understand and implement written and verbal directions to meet production, safety, sanitation and health standards
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs pounds or less; must have manual dexterity. Ability to work in the kitchen around a hot climate with stoves, ovens, and grills. Must be able to speak clearly and listen attentively to lead workers and supervisors
- Must be able to understand work instructions given in English, either verbally or in writing
- Must be service oriented (i.e. courteous and professional)
- Must adhere to the department policies and procedures.
- Flexibility with schedule and work assignments
- Compliance with safety and sanitation standards and work rules
- Regular and consistent attendance
- Ability to work as a team member on a diverse workforce
- Respectful and professional behavior.
- Walking: The ability to exert a reasonably paced mobility from one point to another within a generally accepted time frame. Must be able to recognize the conditions of the environment. Must have the ability to stand and walk for an extended period of time.
- Bending: Must have the ability to move and control one's torso so items can be picked up from a lower surface level.
- Reaching: The ability to stretch the body and extend arms to place or secure objects and commodities at a distance above, to the side of, or below the normal standing level.
- Lifting: Must have the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Must be able to use body parts, usually arms and hands (shoulders and back) to elevate an object or commodity above its previous surface level.
- Repetitive Movement: Ability to use body parts on a regular and continuing basis to repeat the same motions for a reasonable period of time without resting.
- Stooping: Ability to flex legs at the knee and move the upper body forward. Subject to wet floors, temperature extremes and excessive noise. Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency