Program Director for User Experience Design
Program Director for User Experience DesignTracking CodeF015 Job Description
Position Title: Program Director for User Experience Design
Position Tracking Number: F015
School/College: College of the Arts
Department: COTA Graduate Area
Location: Orange County Regional Campus
Azusa Pacific University (APU) was founded in 1899, enrolls over 11,000 students, and is located in Southern California. APU holds accreditation with WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), and it holds secondary accreditation in the design area with the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). The College of the Arts (COTA) was founded in 2013, and it has made significant strides in advancing our mission of being a premiere college focused on exceptional artistic development and the incorporation of authentic Christian faith. These dual aspirations extend and enrich our influence on culture. Through the innovation and dedication of COTA’s scholar-practitioner faculty, nearly 750 arts majors, 150 arts minors, and over 200 graduate students are shaped with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to follow their passion and fulfill their vocational calling across the disciplines of cinema, design, music, theater, and visual art.
This faculty position directs and teaches in the graduate user experience design program. With the creation of the new Master of Arts in User Experience Design degree, the program director will ensure academic excellence and innovation in user experience design, coordinate the curriculum and faculty of the program, provide oversight for practice initiatives in user experience design, and promote partnerships that support student learning, corporate connections, internships, faculty practice, and research initiatives in user experience design.
Specializations: User Experience Design
- Advance the APU mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Maintain active professional scholarship.
- Ensure program compliance with State and Accreditation standards.
- Provide oversight assistance of assessment and revision, ensuring instruction is conducted with academic integrity and rigor for the user experience design program.
- Supervise assigned support staff.
- Build new and maintain ongoing relationships with professional industry thought leaders, corporations and professional organizations.
- Participates in faculty recruitment and evaluation.
- Collaborate with the College of the Arts Graduate Studies, Students Services, and Adult Enrollment Services in matters of common concern.
- Coordinate graduate class scheduling in user experience design.
- With the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, coordinate adjunct faculty teaching in the user experience design program.
- With the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, manage the budget of the graduate music entrepreneurship area.
- Support student success and retention by working with other team members, faculty and advisors, while maintaining confidentiality of vital information.
- Serve on University committees as assigned.
- May be needed to work at alternative teaching sites.
- Additional responsibilities include providing support for faith integration across the curriculum, having an on-going professional research agenda, and active participation in service to the University through committee participation, School and/or University level as well as service to the broader professional community.
- The ability to teach in a variety of instructional environments including: online, face-to-face, and hybrid formats is required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean.
Level: Faculty rank commensurate with experience.
Qualifications: Successful candidates will possess the following:
- At least a master’s degree in user experience design or a related field.Professional experience in user experience design.Record of strong administrative experience, and excellent interpersonal skills required.A commitment to excellence in teaching and management.Ability to develop and evaluate new and existing programs.Active engagement in Curriculum and Program developmentTransparent, collaborative leadership ability.A demonstrated, vibrant Christian faith compatible with the mission of Azusa Pacific University (Faculty members are required to sign a “Statement of Faith,” available at http://www.apu.edu/about/believe, and to adhere to the policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook)Demonstration of collegial teamwork, desire to collaborate with colleagues and contribute to the College of Music and the Arts, Graduate StudiesExperience with assistive technology tools and instructional strategies
Experience: Professional expertise and experience commensurate with specific position requirements.
- Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
- Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
- Self-starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
Hire Date: Open until filled.
At Azusa Pacific University we value and uphold God-honoring diversity. Diversity was not our idea, but God's. Therefore, we aim for an environment that respects and honors each individual's uniqueness while celebrating our collective commonalities. It is in this spirit that we continue important discourse on diversity, engage a variety of perspectives, and embrace active listening in a spirit of humility. We continue our efforts to recruit, hire, and support a diverse community in an effort to create a milieu that reflects the mosaic of God's kingdom.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.
Job Location San Diego, California, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular