(MCCC-Tenure Track) Criminal Justice Faculty
Department:: Social Sciences
Locations:: Holyoke, MA
Posted:: Dec 7, 2018
Closes:: Jan 25, 2019 - 11:59 PM EST
Ref. No.:: 19030
About Holyoke Community College:
Holyoke Community College: the opportunities you want; the future you're looking for.
For over 65 years, Holyoke Community College has been a gateway to quality education and career advancement. Seeking to realize their dreams and aspirations, more than 100,000 students have come through the open doors of the College. HCC offers over 100 different academic options.
The Commonwealth's oldest community college, Holyoke Community College serves more than 12,500 students annually in credit and noncredit programs and courses. The college has the highest transfer rate of any community college statewide, holding articulation agreements with more than 27 colleges and universities. Recognized for its Honors Program, distance learning curriculum, learning communities, and service to students, HCC also offers business development opportunities through the Kittredge Center for Business and Workforce Development.
The mission of HCC's Criminal Justice program is to foster a challenging environment that provides a solid knowledge base of the criminal justice system and a broad background in the liberal arts through quality instruction. The successful candidate will exhibit a passion and commitment to teaching, advising, and shared governance.
- Teaches a wide variety of criminal justice courses, including Introduction to Criminal Justice, Introduction to Corrections, Criminology, Police & Society, and Criminal Law & Procedure.
- Maintains regular office hours. Makes himself/herself available to assist students in achieving their learning goals.
- Provides academic advising.
- Attends regularly scheduled Department, Division and College meetings.
- Participates in College Governance Committees, and other committees, task forces, sub-committees, and other activities as requested.
- Assists in curriculum development and assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Integrates computer technology into coursework, as appropriate.
- Maintains the academic integrity of the college.
- Support students' learning goals by: a.) focusing on student learning outcomes, b.) taking into account the needs and abilities of the students, c.) becoming familiar with academic and social resources.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Master's degree in criminal justice, criminology or a related discipline is required (candidates with a JD or MPA with criminal justice experience will be considered); demonstrated ability and knowledge of varied pedagogical strategies; teaching experience which may include any of the following: part-time teaching, teaching assisting, graduate presentations or other conference level presentations; experience using technology in the classroom; excellent written and oral communication skills; commitment to and understanding of the community college mission; demonstrated ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse social and cultural backgrounds, and with a range of academic abilities.
NOTES: A teaching demonstration will be part of the interview process.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: One to two years of teaching/research experience in higher education; practical expertise in the field; interest in or experience with distance learning modalities and use of web-based instructional materials; leadership experience in an academic program; familiarity with curriculum development and student learning outcome assessments; experience working with diverse groups.
COMPENSATION: Salary Range: $44,874-$60,000 (9 months). Actual salary will be commensurate with education and experience in accordance with MCCC/MTA Collective Bargaining Agreement. Full State benefits package.
STARTING DATE: Fall, 2019
EQUIVALENCY STATEMENT: Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them for the responsibilities of this position.
Holyoke Community College is committed to excellence and opportunity through diversity in education and employment. Holyoke Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, maternity leave, and national origin, in its education programs or employment.
- All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. HCC is not sponsoring H1B Visa.
- Pre-Employment Background check, including Criminal History will be conducted for all positions.
Applicants interested in applying MUST submit the following documents via online:
- Letter of Interest (Cover Letter)
- List of references with names, email addresses, & telephone numbers of three professional references
DEADLINE: January 11, 2019. Applications are considered until position is filled.
Returning applicants - https://hcc.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp to check completed application.