Graduate Assistant for Residence Life
Category:: Support Staff Positions
Department:: Residence Life
Locations:: Springfield, OH
Posted:: Nov 30, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.:: 1-84011-50102
About Wittenberg University:
Wittenberg University is a private four-year college affiliated with the Lutheran faith tradition with an enrollment of approximately 1800 students. Designated as a national liberal arts college, Wittenberg University recruits students from all regions of the United States and many foreign countries. The campus is situated on 70 acres of rolling hills in Springfield, Ohio and is easily accessible from Columbus and Dayton. For more information about Wittenberg, please visit our website at www.wittenberg.edu.
RESIDENCE LIFE INFORMATION
Approximately 1,400 students live in six mixed-gender residence halls, one all-female residence hall, and over 100 University houses and apartments. Generally residence halls are meant for first and second year students; houses and apartments are for juniors and seniors. Residence Life professional staff include an Associate Dean of Students for Residence Life, an Assistant Director, a Residence Life Housing Manager, a Rentals Coordinator, two Area Coordinators, and a Graduate Assistant. The Graduate Assistant reports to the Assistant Director and provides support and outreach for the residents and student staff of that cluster. The in-hall professional staff work in conjunction with Resident Advisors and Community Advisors to provide living environments that promote academic and social success. Community Advisors are students who have been RA's for at least one year and who assume additional responsibilities for the administration of the residence halls.
GRADUATE ASSISTANT RESPONSIBILITIES
The Graduate Assistant position is a non-exempt, live-in assignment (January 2 - May 31) with the option to renew annually. As a member of the Student Development staff, the Graduate Assistant is dedicated to student growth and development outside of the classroom and considers Residence Life an integral part of this learning experience. In supporting the learning environment, the Graduate Assistant is a role model a facilitator, a leader, and an essential person in the effective operation of the residence life program. This on-campus, live-in position can be demanding of personal time during peak periods. The duties of the Graduate Assistant include the following:
- Student Outreach: Establish personal contact with students in order to adequately address student needs and concerns by remaining visible, approachable, and active in the halls. This includes maintaining regular offices hours in each of the living communities, participating in community events, as well as other methods of maintaining community visibility.
- Departmental/Divisional Responsibilities: Participate in Residence Life and Student Development administrative tasks, staff meetings, professional and student staff selection, development, and training. Provide assistance as needed with cluster supervision responsibilities in the Assistant Director's absence. Divisional responsibilities include divisional meetings, late night and all campus events, and other duties as assigned.
- Counseling and Crisis Intervention: Provide front-line assistance to students experiencing emotional, academic, physical, and/or interpersonal difficulties, and refer them to other professionals when appropriate. Assist in crisis situations. Participate in Care Team and retention efforts. Maintain accurate records of interventions through Maxient software.
- Policy and Student Conduct: Understand, support, and enforce campus regulations in a developmentally appropriate context; conduct educational disciplinary meetings; and assign appropriate sanctions. Support resident advisors in the enforcement of policy.
- Duty coverage: Serve as on-call contact for campus emergencies; generally one out of every four weeks. Maintain accurate and timely records of responses in Maxient software. Participate in Residence Life incident debrief meetings.
- Administration and Management: Assist in the oversight of one residence hall, including attention to significant administrative detail, occupancy management, budget management, assessment of physical environment, and communication with the housekeeping staff.
Applicants must be currently enrolled in a graduate program in college student personnel, higher education administration, coaching, education, or similar field. Applicants with experience and understanding of residence life and leadership programs and theories are strongly preferred. Experience managing logistics of events or processes is preferred. Candidates must demonstrate an understanding of the role co-curricular programs play in a student's development and on a residential liberal arts campus.
The Graduate Assistant for Residence Life reports to the Assistant Director for Residence Life and indirectly reports to the Associate Dean for Residence Life.
The pay rate is $12.50 per hour with the expectation of working approximately 20 - 29 hours per week. Hours may fluctuate depending upon duty, on call, and training schedules but should not exceed 20 - 29 hours in one week without approval from the Associate Dean. Benefits include a furnished apartment (including utilities) and liberal board plan. Pets meeting specific guidelines are allowed.
Wittenberg is committed to attracting and retaining highly qualified individuals who collectively reflect the diversity of our student body and society at-large. Please see our notice of non-discrimination housed on our website.
We ask interested applicants to set-up an account and apply through our online system. As part of the application process, you will be asked to upload the following documents in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat format:
- A cover letter
- The name, address, email address, and phone number for three professional references
If you are a person with a disability and require assistance with the application process, please contact Wittenberg's Human Resources Department at (937) 327-7517.