Biology Instructor (Madera Community College Center)
Biology Instructor (Madera Community College Center)
State Center Community College District
Closing Date: 2/8/2019 at 11:55 PM
Campus Location: Madera Community College Center
Start Date: 08/08/2019
The ideal candidate will share the Madera Community College Center's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. We currently enroll over 5,000 students of which 66% are Latinx, 1% are Filipino, 6% are Asian, 3% are Black/African American, 19% are White, 1% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 3% are multiracial. MCCC is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a highly motivated team of faculty dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Providing instruction that may involve both lecture and laboratory classes in Biology and Biological Sciences at the Madera Community College Center and/or at off-site locations. The instructor will be responsible for:
- Teaching both lecture and laboratory classes in general biology, biology for majors, microbiology, human biology and anatomy and physiology;
- Maintaining instruments used in teaching biology;
- Teaching the principles and applications of biology instrumentation;
- Assisting in the coordination of laboratory facilities and assuring the availability of supplies and equipment;
- Evaluating adjunct instructors, and collecting data on student learning outcomes;
- Curriculum and program development and/or revision, including program review and the development and assessment of student learning outcomes for courses and programs to improve student learning;
- Participating in the accreditation process;
- Communicating effectively with students and staff;
- Developing technology used for classroom presentations;
- Advising students
- Participating in college/district committees;
- Participating in appropriate professional meetings and workshops;
- Working with colleagues within and beyond the discipline to implement the guided pathways concept to promote student success and completion;
- Cooperating with regard to scheduling classes between colleagues in the same disciplines;
- Participating in student recruiting activities;
- Teaching assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evenings and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed; and
- Otherwise fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
- Master’s in any biological science;
- Bachelor’s in any biological science and master’s in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine sciences;
- A valid California Community College Credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
- Extent of teaching experiences at the secondary, or post-secondary level in general biology, principles of zoology and botany, human biology and anatomy/physiology, microbiology, and biotechnology;
- Extent of ability to perform specialized and technical duties to assure efficient biology laboratory operations;
- Extent and type of experience teaching general biology, principles of zoology and botany, human biology anatomy/physiology;
- Extent of teaching both lecture and laboratory biology courses;
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement innovative teaching methodologies;
- Knowledge and use of current educational technology and multimedia presentation (computer use in lecture presentations and laboratory exercises, interactive video, etc.);
- Knowledge and experience in the development and assessment of student learning outcomes;
- Commitment to interacting and working successfully as a team with instructors, and other colleagues;
- Express an enthusiasm for teaching and assisting students to succeed;
- Have an ability to develop curriculum in emerging areas;
- Exhibit the capacity to contribute to the total operation of the instructional program including Department, Division, and College responsibilities;
- Demonstrate an ability to adapt instructional techniques to accommodate varied learning styles and a variety of teaching modalities including distance learning;
- Knowledge and experience in program review and accreditation;
- Commitment to professional growth including demonstrated willingness to improving teaching methodology;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing;
- Demonstrated ability in developing successful instructional strategies for non-traditional or academically at-risk students;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusions of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and remediate one’s instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
Conditions of Employment:
177 duty days per year.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $55,650 - $83,782 based on education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,082 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teacher’s Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened by Human Resources for completeness and to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement. From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement, a selection committee will review the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications then determine who will be invited to interview. Interviews are tentatively scheduled the week of March 4th. The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the “recommended candidates”. These candidates will be forwarded to the Vice President and College President for final interviews which are tentatively scheduled the week of March 11th. A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval. State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants. For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1525 E. Weldon Avenue, Fresno, California, 93704, (559) 243-7100. For information on the Madera Community College Center, Reedley College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No. 4622. Submission of application and related materials is the applicant’s responsibility and must be submitted through the district’s online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
This is a full-time, tenure track position.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.scccd.edu
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency