Mathematics Instructor (Clovis Community College)
Mathematics Instructor (Clovis Community College)
State Center Community College District
Closing Date: 2/8/2019 at 11:55 PM
Campus Location: Clovis Community College
Start Date: 08/08/2019
The ideal candidate will share Clovis Community College's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of The 2017-2018 academic year, we currently enroll approximately 11,000 students in which 43% are Latinx, 11% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 3% are Black/African American, 36% are White, 1% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 4% are multiracial. Clovis Community College is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Providing instruction in Mathematics on the Clovis Community College
campus and/or at off-site community campus locations, the instructor will be
- Teaching developmental and transfer mathematics courses offered
by the department;
- Maintaining currency in pedagogy;
- Communicating effectively with students and staff;
- Assisting in the operation of the tutorial center;
- Serving on department, division, college and district committees;
- Participating in student learning outcome, development, assessment,
and analysis at all levels (course, program, and college) to improve
- Participating in program development and expansion of Mathematics courses, including connections with industry and career pathways;
- Participating in program review, student learning outcome development and assessment to improve student learning;
- Participating in the accreditation process;
- Identifying and recommending potential adjunct faculty;
- Teaching assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times,
including evening and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large
group instruction classes as needed; and
- Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors
as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
- Master’s in mathematics or applied mathematics;
- Bachelor’s in either of the above AND master’s in statistics, physics
or mathematics education;
- A valid California Community College Credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an
of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom.
- Teaching experience at the secondary or post-secondary level;
- Teaching experience in the breadth of courses taught and the use of
a variety of pedagogies;
- Experience with effectively integrating educational technology into
- Familiarity with the current curriculum and assessment standards in
mathematics education as stated by the National Council of Teachers
of Mathematics (NCTM) and the American Math Association of Two
Year Colleges (AMATYC);
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students and
- Experience serving on campus committees;
- Experience in the accreditation process;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native
American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom
and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusions of these
groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and
- Willingness to examine and remediate one’s instructional, relational,
and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support
racially minoritized students;
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
Conditions of Employment:
177 duty days per year.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $55,650 - $83,782 based on education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,082 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teacher’s Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened by Human Resources for completeness and to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement. From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement, a selection committee will review the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications then determine who will be invited to interview. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for the week of March 4th. The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the “recommended candidates”. These candidates will be forwarded to the Vice President of Instruction and College President for final interviews which are tentatively scheduled for the week of March 18th. A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval. State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants. For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1525 E. Weldon Avenue, Fresno, California, 93704, (559) 243-7100. For information on Clovis Community College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No. 5620. Submission of application and related materials is the applicant’s responsibility and must be submitted through the district’s online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
This is a full-time, tenure track position.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.scccd.edu
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency