Dutchess Community College is seeking a part-time counselor in the Office of Accommodative Services. The position is responsible for the day to day intake and support of students in need of accommodation plans to facilitate success in their academic endeavors. The position reports to the Director of Accommodative Services.
- Assist Director of Accommodative Services to review disability documentation, track and conduct outreach to incoming students.
- Conduct intake interviews and develop accommodation plans within the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act for assigned caseload. Provide study and self- monitoring strategies to students with disabilities registered with the office.
- Participate in compliance with NVRA by assisting students with Voter Registration process
- Support new students and their families with transition to college; provide education regarding the differences between IDEA and ADA.
- Track and respond to requests for note-takers by contacting instructors and classmates to identify a student willing to provide this service. Coordinate provision of stipend for service providers.
- Conduct workshops and other presentations on learning disabilities and other disability issues to improve awareness, sensitivity, knowledge, and development of students, faculty, and staff.
- Assist Director to schedule interpretive and caption services.
- Collaborate with OAS staff and make appropriate referrals to Technology and Learning Specialist.
- Communicate with faculty re: ADA compliance and provide assistance with accommodations and equipment.
- Provide appropriate referrals and arrange for linkage with local community services when necessary.
- Participates in campus-wide retention and persistence outreach and activities.
- Participate in department, division, and institutional assessment activities as required
- Assist with preparation for major campus events such as Orientation and Transition workshops.
- Assist Director to provide oversight/training of student interns.
- Participate in special projects, events and other duties as assigned by the Director.
Education: Master's degree required in Disability Studies, Social Work, Counseling, Special Education or a related field.
Experience: One to three years of professional disability services or related student services experience required.
Expertise in one or more of the following areas preferred:
- Experience in transition to post- secondary education
- Experience in a diverse higher education setting with prior experience in coordinating and evaluating college-level programs is preferred.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office products and learning management systems such as Blackboard helpful.
- Must be available during daytime business hours, work schedule may include one evening. This is a part-time, 25 hour/week position.
- Must have the ability to provide outstanding customer service to students in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- The candidate must possess an understanding of the cultural, social, and educational needs of a multi-ethnic campus community.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of learning disabilities, mental health conditions and Autism Spectrum disorders.
- Must possess knowledge of best practices in disability services implementation in post-secondary settings, and Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Candidates must have excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills; must also possess a high level of sensitivity to students with disabilities.
To Apply, go to www.sunydutchess.edu/employment
DCC is committed to the principle of diversity and encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, the disabled and all others (AA/EOE).
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/27n7bmfryhwqypcr