Maintenance Tech-Truck Driver
Department:: Campus Facilities/Operations
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Apr 24, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Under the direction of the Building Superintendent, provide campus-wide services for the transportation, loading and unloading of College furniture, supplies, equipment and garbage; transport specified items in a safe and efficient manner. Repair College property, buildings and furnishings.
- Provide campus-wide services for the transportation, loading and unloading of College furniture, supplies, equipment and garbage;
- Operate a garbage compactor truck, flatbed truck and pick-up truck;
- Perform daily trash pick-up and disposal from College residence halls, facilities and grounds; remove large debris, as needed
- Pick-up and transport recyclable materials to established locations.
- Pick-up, transport, deliver and install various College materials and equipment including but not limited to, furniture and office supplies.
- Maintain warehouses in good orderly condition, including housekeeping and organizing content.
- Assist other maintenance staff with projects and activities.
- Perform minor maintenance and repair to buildings and vehicles.
- Deliver and set up tables, chairs, trash cans and equipment for events on campus and support campus events as needed
- May assist in training other employees or contractors
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation toward all persons contacted during the course of job performance.
- Maintain safe work conditions and comply with established safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Traffic laws, defensive driving techniques and rules of the road.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Safety polices, practices, procedures and requirements of the department, College and Illness & Injury Prevention Plan.
- Drive an assigned vehicle to pick-up and deliver supplies, equipment, furniture, garbage and other items.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Lift heavy objects.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Operate pallet jack and liftgates.
- Operate a garbage compactor truck.
Education and Experience:
- Any combination equivalent to: One year truck driving, warehousing or courier experience.
- Licenses And Other Requirements:
- Maintain a valid California Class B driver's license and safe driving record.
- Delivery truck work environment.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Indoor and outdoor work environment.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
- Sitting and standing for extended periods of time.
- Walking and carrying, pushing or pulling heavy furniture and equipment.
- Bending at the waist.
- Lifting heavy objects.
- Driving a vehicle during adverse weather conditions.
- Fumes from vehicle and equipment operation.
- Exposure to diesel and gas fumes.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is $20.50 per hour with a 40 hour work week. This role includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: 403(b) retirement plan, pet insurance, long-term care insurance and legal-assistance insurance.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to: https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
To apply, please submit:
- cover letter and
- contact information for three references
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.