Marketing Content Creator
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Aug 23, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Senior Associate Director of Marketing
Supervises: Content Editor
Summary of Position
The Marketing Content Creator is dedicated to communicating the Mills brand message across all media. Under the supervision of the Senior Associate Director of Marketing, the Marketing Content Creator is primarily responsible for creating content for the web, student recruitment materials, advertising, College guidebooks, social media, and any materials that help promote Mills to prospective students and advance the image of the College.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conceptualize, write, and manage content strategy in line with the Mills brand platform.
- Ensure consistency of message and facts across all Mills media.
- Develop segmented messaging for undergraduate, adult, and graduate student populations and other audiences as needed.
- Create other types of content such as photography and videography for social media that help increase the visibility of Mills and leverage work created for other media to extend its reach.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Stay abreast of information at Mills to identify opportunities for storytelling, including student, alumnae, and faculty accomplishments.
- Monitor changes to Mills offerings as they impact our messaging and accuracy of all of our marketing media.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts in various departments at Mills working with the marketing team leaders to create new web pages/sites, printed materials, ads, brochures, etc.
- Adhere to Mills style guidelines and the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Performs other tasks as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities:
- Consumer marketing best practices
- Marketing communications best practices
- Student recruitment marketing
- Marketing and content strategy
- Audience segmentation/targeting
- Brand management
- Editorial style guides; Chicago Manual of Style strongly preferred
- Search engine optimization best practices
- Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Web Content Management Systems
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Superior ability to listen, retain, and apply information from stakeholders while building support for marketing objectives and strategies
- Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of personalities while building relationships and managing nuanced cultural considerations
- Ability to tailor content and tone to the target audience in line with the Mills brand
- Ability to retain detailed information and apply it across all marketing vehicles for an integrated marketing effort
- Strong organizational skills; exceptional attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects quickly, working under tight deadlines, changing requirements, and limited information
- Establish strong customer service orientation for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public; establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment; work safely in compliance with College Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or English
- 6 years of related experience in marketing communications and content creation
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Work primarily involves sitting for long hours while on the computer and requires attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause significant stress.
- This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $60,000.00 to $70,000.00 per year, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
Please note that all positions are subject to a background check.
To apply, please submit:
- cover letter and
- salary requirements
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.