Faculty Administrative Assistant (FAA) - Health Sciences & Chemistry
Department:: Chemistry, Public Health & Equity & Pre-Nursing
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Dec 18, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part-time Non-Exempt
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
- Primary: Chemistry Department Head
- Secondary: Pre-Nursing Program Head and Public Health and Health Equity Program Head
Supervises: Teaching Assistant(s), Student worker(s)
The Faculty Administrative Assistant (FAA) for Health Sciences and Chemistry provides support for the Chemistry Department (0.30 FTE) the Pre-Nursing Program (0.25 FTE), the Public Health and Health Equity Program (0.25 FTE), and for a combined total FTE of 0.8 FTE. (Benefited Part-Time Position)
Serves as a liaison between students, faculty, staff, other departments and external constituencies on day-to-day programmatic, operational, and administrative issues
- Serve as a major point of contact and administrative support for students, faculty and staff
- Budget: Oversee the Chemistry, PreNursing, or PHE Program budgets and monitor budgets in Banner. Provide quarterly reports to the Provost Office and program director or as requested
- Develop staffing and scheduling sheets
- Provide support for printing and copying, including assisting with non-standard copying, for faculty, staff, and teaching assistants
- Assist faculty in assigning Departmental Awards, and preparing Annual Reports
- Maintain and share a Chemistry, PreNursing, or PHE Program Department Google calendar with department, division, faculty providing meetings, seminars and events
- Lab Manuals: Sell science lab manuals at the start of each semester. Order supplies for the sale of the manuals or readers. Use any surplus beyond printing and binding expenses to pay for miscellaneous departmental expenses such as candy, student travel reimbursements, departmental snacks, etc..
- Clickers: Use CashNet to "sell" clickers to the students. Process clicker returns at the end of each semester
- Schedule room reservations for single or semester long events using 25Live
- Other duties as assigned
- Schedule and coordinate activities, seminars, meetings, events for students, faculty and staff that support the implementation and administration of the program objectives for pre-nursing, chemistry, and PHE, including;.
- Seminar/workshop series that utilize professionals from the fields of nursing and medicine to discuss trending issues, retention, interpersonal dynamics, mentoring, and other issues relevant
- Interdisciplinary leadership events that foster multicultural understanding, leadership, business skills and other characteristics valuable for success in nursing
- Events that expose students to health equity-related issues and career possibilities
- Other duties as assigned
- Handle calls and inquiries about the Chemistry, PreNursing, or PHE Program
- Assist with onboarding new faculty/staff in Chemistry, PreNursing, or PHE Program
- Teaching assistants: Assist with onboarding paperwork for TAs in the Chemistry, PreNursing, or PHE Programs, collect bi-weekly timesheets, track their hours and assist them with other administrative needs that may arise
- Maintain a repository of internships and job opportunities of interest to Chemistry, PreNursing, or PHE Program, and support students in accessing and utilizing that information
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
Our ideal candidate would have:
- One to three years' prior administrative experience in higher education
- Political acumen and sensitivities to the differing perspectives at all levels of the College
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Familiarity with campus processes, protocols and procedures
- Working knowledge of federal regulations such as FERPA
Required Skills, Abilities and Knowledge:
- Commitment to Mills College's mission and demonstrated ability to create and sustain an organizational climate based on inclusion, social justice and equity
- Strong professional ethics and discretion with an attitude of respect for all persons in the Mills community
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task with demanding time frames. Time-management is essential to this position Motivation to seek information from other offices and complete tasks with little direction. Must be a self-starter
- Proficiency in Google GSuite and Microsoft Office Suite required
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- It is occasionally necessary to lift or move somewhat heavy or awkward pieces of office and classroom equipment such as easels, large tables, projectors, etc
- Work involves considerable sitting time at desk/computer, but also entails moving about the building and campus to obtain/deliver materials and meet with people
- Interruptions and interactions with others are common, especially when school is in session.
- Most work is conducted during the regular workweek, but some responsibilities entail work on evening or weekend hours
- Deadlines are a routine part of the work, whether it is submitting reports, getting materials or equipment ready for a class session, or setting up a room in time for an event
This is a part-time, non-exempt position (0.80 FTE, which is 32 hours per week). Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
Please note that all positions are subject to a background check.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.