Senior Transfer Admission Counselor
Department:: Office of Admission
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Sep 6, 2018
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Director of Admissions
Summary of Position:
The Senior Transfer Admission Counselor works as a member of the admission staff and actively engages in the promotion of the value of a Women's college education. This position will recruit, evaluate and admit applicants to the College with a focus on meeting enrollment goals which include academic quality, sufficient number for revenue goals, maintenance of outstanding diversity, and admitting students who are likely to persist. This position requires strong leadership and teamwork skills and the ability to effectively use data to inform decisions. The Senior Transfer Admission Counselor position plays a vital role in ensuring that prospective students, counselors, and community partners are inspired, informed, and counseled on Mills College's academic programs and resources. The Office of Admissions is a fast-paced, professional and confidential work environment which serves incoming graduate and undergraduate students.
Essential Job Functions:
- In collaboration with the Director, using enrollment data to develop a strategic recruitment and enrollment plan serving prospective domestic and international transfer and Accelerated Degree Program students.
- Establish, develop, and maintain communication throughout the college admission process with prospective students, families, guidance counselors and educational community partners through phone, email, direct mail, interviews, presentations and social media
- Manage all aspects of recruitment travel including scheduling, transportation and accommodations in accordance with college-wide travel policies
- Partner with graduate program Chairs in order to grow enrollment of Accelerated Degree Programs.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a strategic communication strategy serving transfer and Accelerated Degree Program students.
- Focus on data to evaluate ROI on outreach and recruitment efforts.
- Develop an understanding of the challenges facing an admission office nationally and in California and demonstrate attention and responsiveness to College strategies which address these challenges
- Participate in new student recruitment and conversion activities and efforts.
- Execute the College's recruitment and partnership initiatives listed in the Mills College Pathways and Mills Peralta Promise agreements.
- Collaborate with Academic Records, Admission Operations, and other areas of campus as needed to promote and create transfer friendly processes with attention to articulation agreements and transfer credit analysis
- Develop and report enrollment data on trends in transfer and Accelerated Degree Programs
- 10 to 12 weeks of travel is required, including evening and weekend work, primarily during fall & spring months
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment
- Counsel, advise, and direct students through the college admission and financial aid process with attention to the unique demands of undergraduate and graduate students
- Gain mastery of all enrollment related technology tools such as Slate, the Customer Relationship Management system (CRM) and Banner, the Student Information System (SIS)
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains reports and records on transfer and Accelerated Degree Program application activity
- Counsel and facilitate engagement with prospective students on all processes related to the submission of admission documents
- Administer a process for the review of applications which is fair and equitable to student applicants, serves the needs and priorities of the College, and is consistent with NACAC's Statement of Principles of Good Practice.
- Evaluate applications for admission and provide recommendations to the admission committee while meeting expected application review targets
- Evaluate transcripts for pre-enrollment transferability
- Application evaluation requires 10 weeks of file review, including evening and weekend work, primarily during winter and spring months
- Manage all activities and communication with offices on and off campus including but not limited to academic programs, financial aid office, college fair organizers, transfer centers and alumnae
- Communicate the progress of special projects with the entire admissions team
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Intermediate knowledge of Social Media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to exhibit strong customer service skills for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public.
- Ability to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university required
- Two to four years of experience preferred in transfer admission or enrollment operations with proven track record of success in meeting expressed goals
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to travel for outreach, recruitment or yield activities
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Ability to carry boxes, bins and materials for recruitment travel and events
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs
This is full-time, exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
Please note that all positions are subject to a background check.
To apply, please submit:
- cover letter and
- contact information for 3 references
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.